Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm *finally* getting towards the end of my cam swap.... Can anyone tell me what the black metal brackets do at the rear of the intake manifold? They really don't seem necessary and I'm tempted to leave them off the car.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I removed the engine cover, an if the brackets your talking about are the ones I see looking somewhat like a letter L laid out flat with a turned up section dead behind the fuel rails and both having a turn down finger behind the manifold, they sort of look useless to me also. Maybe they are there to prevent any possible rearward moving of the fuel rails (if that's possible). If its those brackets, I guess its a "take your best guess " on what to do with them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree. My guess is a safety issue to prevent the fuel rails from penetrating the passenger area in an accident?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I'm leaving them off. Car has started but I haven't driven it yet because I haven't put the front fascia back on. Plus I don't feel like retorqueing the intake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah they aren't needed. I left mine off plus made some fab of my own. Get crazy

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I took these two brackets off as well as the little silver bracket at the front of the intake on the drivers side. I have searched and searched and still have not found a for sure reason the factory installed any of these or what they are for. Does anyone know for sure?

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
The brackets at the back of the fuel rails are there to prevent the rails from popping out in front end impacts and reduce the likelihood of a fire. The smaller silver bracket is to ground the fuel rail. All the other connections and bolts are into plastic. To prevent static build up and keep everything grounded, the silver bracket connect from one of the fuel rail mounting bolts which only connect to plastic to one of the intake manifold mounting bolts which bolt into the block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.