Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a brake bleeder they like? I have one of those little Mity Vac units that costs about $20, but it never worked.

·
every village has one
2,371 Posts
I have a set of Russel speed bleeders left over. Opened one package, other three are sealed. Don’t remember why, but never installed them.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I use a pressure bleeder. Works great.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are some unhappy reviews for the Russel Speed Bleeders. Some are just people that didn't get the right size. It seems like a number of people have problems getting them to seat and seal.

Are they good for G8s? Aluminum valves in aluminum calipers should be good for extended flush intervals, little or no galvanic corrosion.

Reactions: rockinlespaul

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you supposed to use air pressure from a tire? Looks like a typical inflater chuck on there.

Liquid Light Product Fluid Automotive tire

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yup, even better if you are a nitrogen person.

Short story longer, back in the 80's this guy walks into our shop with on of these.
" I'd like to leave this bleeder with you for a month or two , no charge, no strings"
Comes back , " would you like me to take it away or would you like to buy it "

Most low pressure sales man ever!!!
At that time he was a one man show.

I swear by it , recommend it to everyone.
No kick backs, I really think it is a good deal.

The G8 adapter does fit, he sent me one to try when he couldn't be sure.

I modded mine slightly with longer hoses but it is good as is.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My air compressor is right near the front of my car in the garage. I bet I can put a different adapter in it, no?

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you have a desiccant or a refrigerant drier sure, but the regulator is going to be more touchy going from 150 ish down to 10-12 pounds.
The idea is the still air from the tire is more likely to be dry than your typical hit off the head compressor.
I have only checked the moisture content after in the race cars at the shop but all those tires I am used are " double nitrogen purged anyway.

Honestly, the tire deal works pretty slick.

Mine I made some extension hoses and stuff
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most all the air in my tires came from my compressor.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Something like this?

I have a Motive pressure bleeder. I’ll have to check but I believe the Ford cap fits our cars.

Reactions: carkhz316

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Motive pressure bleeder. I’ll have to check but I believe the Ford cap fits our cars.
I’ll second the motive. Works like a charm. Did 3 G8s, Grand Prix, Bonneville, 2Cadillac SRXs, and a Ford Fusion. Just make sure cap is on reservoir tight and straight.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Toy Camera accessory Liquid Font Automotive wheel system

This is the kit I got. The best part is the bottle to to fill with brake fluid. You don’t have to worry about the master cylinder running dry..

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use a manual vacuum pump (might actually be Mity Vac) that I've got from NAPA. Works fine but I wish it had an electric pump instead of a manual one. The trick is to go in the opposite order than usually recommended: first such the brake fluid out of the tank and replace it, then go in the order from the wheel closest to the tank to the farthest. This way you'll pump most of the fluid with the least resistance.

I've tried the bleeder screws with a valve on one or two cars, they work alright, especially if you bleed the brakes frequently (such as on a track/race car). But obviously you need to install them first, and I'm a bit afraid of getting the air in with them, I finished with the usual bleeding.

I still have a pressurized bleeder sitting around for about 20 years (one that's supposed to work from a tire's pressure), that one didn't work any good at all. Tends to dump the fluid all over the place.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I used the speedi bleed today. It worked well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: 95wagon

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I use a vacuum pump (Astro Pneumatic) which you pump up by hand and stick the tube onto the nozzle on the brake caliper. Its big enough to hold more than a gallon of fluid and only have to pump the vacuum up when switching to each caliber. Just have to keep the brake fluid reservoir full with new fluid to prevent sucking air in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts