Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, so recently I had my headliner replaced at an upholstery shop. After it was done, I picked it up and noticed I had no brake lights. The taillights would work but not when applying the brake. Checked the fuses and replaced brake pedal position sensor. The fuse would blow instantly. I don't know much about the electrical side of a car so I took it in to a shop to have it looked at. Had the upholstery guy remove the headliner to take a look at the wires underneath. They found a wire that was cut and taped back together, which I have no clue how that happened as I don't think the headliner was ever removed before. They fixed that and now the brake lights won't turn off, they stay on. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what to do.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Are you saying the brake lights (all 3 of them) remain on with the ignition off, or that they remain on at all times *after* the ignition is turned on ? As wired from the factory, the brake lights will not operate until the ignition key has been rotated to at least position 1 (accessory position). If your light brake lights turn on at key rotation to the accessory position, it might be that your brake pedal position sensor thinks you are stepping on the brake pedal all the time. With the help of another set of eyes, reach down an pull up an hold the brake pedal, to see if that will shut off the lights. The results will help figure out what might be causing the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying the brake lights (all 3 of them) remain on with the ignition off, or that they remain on at all times *after* the ignition is turned on ? As wired from the factory, the brake lights will not operate until the ignition key has been rotated to at least position 1 (accessory position). If your light brake lights turn on at key rotation to the accessory position, it might be that your brake pedal position sensor thinks you are stepping on the brake pedal all the time. With the help of another set of eyes, reach down an pull up an hold the brake pedal, to see if that will shut off the lights. The results will help figure out what might be causing the problem.
I am not 100% sure, it is still currently at the shop. They said they tried reprogramming the sensor with a snap on but it didn't work/fix it. Is a tech2 necessary or should I be looking at something else?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
If their tool doen't allow them to access the brake pedal sensor for programming, an set its value to zero (with the brake pedal at its normal rest position), then the scan tool would be required. But for now, I'll have to go into the standby mode until I hear the answers to the above questions.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts