Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did powerslots front and rear and hawk ceramics all around last weekend. The hawks came with some red lube and the instructions say to lube the pins and backs of the pads. On the rears I did not open up the caliper and did not use any lube on the pads or pins. On the fronts I did open up the calipers and I lubed the back of the pad where the pistons meet the pads, but not the outer pad and I also lubed the pins. I did not lube the hardware and I did not clean the pins original lubricant.

Now I'm getting this squeaky/rubbing sound at low speed stops and starts that is worse before I make a few stops. I believe it just to be the front. The brakes however seem to stop great, the only concern I might have is that it seems to be a little inconsistent and "catchy".

Any thoughts? what lube did you use and where? the internet tells many stories of not lubing at all, or using different lubes in different spots.

I believe this just to be annoying and not a safety issue.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Actually is is safety. If it makes the brake work better, and not catchy, you can stop faster. Saving you, your car or some ped. Lube should be placed on the ends of the pads where the contact the bracket clips.
Do what the maunfacturer said and not take internet lore. You listed everything you left out. A tube of caliper lube and new clips and seals is around $20. Buy then and see how much better the brakes feel. You will also get full life out of the pads because the caliper is properly lubed and won't stick or seize.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
^^agree. I relubed the guide pins after a good cleaning (the boots were fine), used the packet of lube that came with the hawk pads(anti squeak) on the back side of the pads(not the brackets) front AND rear and all is well. This may be obvious questions but did you clean the rotors with brake cleaner? Rotors are shipped with oil on the surface to keep them shiny and rust free during shipping. And did you follow the correct bedding procedure?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rotors were cleaned. new hardware as well. I guess I guess the question is regarding the top of the pads where they rest on the clips. I've heard to lube these and then read not to. It was a tight fit so I didn't think much of it and i've never lubed this on other jobs.

i will add again that the car stops on a dime. almost not used to it. When I said catchy, it almost feels if the brakes are still applied when i pick my foot off the pedal. but the car seems to be driving fine and I dont smell the typical burned rubber smell from a stuck caliper. I'm going to give it some time. seemed to be getting better every day.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Okay. I've only ever greased the rear of the pads and I did not lube the end of the pads where it meets the bracket. If your certain it's coming from the fronts, maybe give that a try.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I always clean old lube off of pins and relube them with quality lube such as Hawk's or Permatex or sil-glyde. I never lube the back of the pads. I never lube the rattle clips, but I either replace them or clean them up with a wire brush.

I've done well over 100 brake jobs and haven't had a complaint yet.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems to be getting better each day. almost no noise this morning. Maybe this combo just needed to break in. no pun intended :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.