Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just destroyed my EBC slotted and dimpled rotors due to I ran my EBC red stuffs down to the metal. Checking through the wheels the face of the rotor and pads were fine the back side was shot. Which I didn't find out until the metal to metal grinding sound appeared.

My question is does any performance street brakes have wear indicators. Quizzed EBC back when I bought the redstuffs and they said they copy the spec that calls for them and on our car it dose not call for them . 20K later I wish i had it. the stock pads had wear indicators

I just called Hawk and they could not see the clip on the diagram so that was a no to wear indicator. Anyone running hawk HPS or PC pads can confirm.

I don't autocross but I do live in California where I Drive fast, tailgate, slam on the brakes and ride the brakes every day in the spirit of the commute and any extra bite may be the difference between an close call and getting towed away.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I Drive fast, tailgate, slam on the brakes and ride the brakes every day in the spirit of the commute.
Soooo, you're an ***hole? Just kidding. I know all about big city commutes. I'm pretty sure my HPSs had indicators. If I recall correctly, I used them to help line up the pad. However, I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Touché.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
The inner pad wearing faster is a sign of the slide pins sticking. I will guess the EBC pads were installed with the original pad clips and caliper pin seals? On your next/this brake job, buy new caliper hardware and not have this problem again. You have to remove a wheel to do a proper brake pad inspection for wear. The Stop Tech pads I instaled last fall have the wear tabs, mounted on the inside

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GT Drew
Thanks for the advice on the slide pens sticking and yes I did not replace those parts when I put the EBC pads on. Question where do yo get caliper pen seals the local parts store carries the bolts but not the seals. Is this a special order part?

karlhungus thanks for the info on the hawks pad having a clip as I went to their catalog myself and it clearly shows the clip. I guess the rep i talked with was looking at something else when he said he couldn't verify it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The boots and brackets come separately in "brake hardware kit". You're looking for brackets and boots hardware if the auto parts person has no idea. FYI, if the boots, brackets and guide pins are in good shape, a simple cleaning and new grease is all you'll need. Just DON'T over grease the pins. Put in a small amount and add if you need it so the pin has its full motion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.