Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i bought my car it had obx exhaust from the block to the mufflers, which are stock, wondering if there are any worthwhile power gains to be had from switching to say Kooks or Arh, Corsa, etc, and or am i losing power with the stock mufflers vs Solo or whatever, to justify the considerable cost

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Not sure if what you typed was intended? OBX is not stock. If you have the OBX your not going to gain much going to anything else, nor would it be worth the expense IMO. You could do a mid muffler and solo axle back if you wanted a different sound but to do the Solo alone would be much too loud and not sound good.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
- OBX is a clone of Kooks
- Stock GT muffs good to 450rwhp (demo'd on dyno)
The number you need to know is 2.2 CFM/HP exhaust flow

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
the drone with other mufflers will drive you nuts !!!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The stock mufflers do well to quiet things down, especially with a full header and midpipe like you currently have. Adding GXP axle-backs would wake things up quite a bit for you, and I'm sure the OBX axle-backs would do nicely if you wanted more sound on a budget. But as far as extra power is concerned, mufflers don't make much of a difference on the butt-dyno.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did a ricer mod and put some washers between the mid pipe and muffler flanges to create a strategic leak, for more loudness, it honestly sounds good to me but it's really loud at wot, I'll probably leave it like that for a while till it starts to annoy me, i love the way it sounds at idle though so much lope

1 - 8 of 8 Posts