Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
Discussion Starter #1
What pads do you like?

I'm looking to try a few other brands. I'm currently using Akebono ceramic pads but I noticed some serious noises last fall before I put her away so I wouldn't mind trying some other brands.

Also...what brand lube are you using? I realize that my noises are probably due to improper cleaning and lubing the correct areas. I was thinking about trying Brembos B Quiet brake lube. Has anyone tried that? Normally I use Sylglide. I keep a tube of it in my cart.

I like the Akebono's. Good bite with no fade and not much dust but the squeal noises need to stop.

So...what pads do you guys like? Thanks in advance.

Registered
While my GXP is still on its original fronts and oe ss rears, my other 4 piston Brembo car I am quite happy with my Hawk Ceramic.
That said others hate them , so,,,,,,,
Before I had Pagid and Textar.
Great pads if you want to clean your wheels twice a day 馃

Premium Member

Reactions: rockinlespaul

Registered
Hum, least I kept my story striaght :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Might have to look into those Carbotech's and Hawks. Appreciate the feedback fellas.

Has anyone used Wagner ThermoQuiets? I have used them on other calipers other than Brembo and they were excellent.

Premium Member
Used the ThermoQuiet's once on another application and were more like ThermoSqueal's. Changed the brake pads and was voted best neighbor of the year. Lol. Brake pads squealed like swine at feeding time.

Registered
I use the Akebono Street Performance pads and had a good experience with them. I used synthetic brake quiet of the back of the shims and copper anti seize as directed in the brake squeal service bulletin from the Corvette IIRC and it has worked thus far with multiple car washes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Used the ThermoQuiet's once on another application and were more like ThermoSqueal's. Changed the brake pads and was voted best neighbor of the year. Lol. Brake pads squealed like swine at feeding time.
Interesting. That has not been my experience but I believe you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I use the Akebono Street Performance pads and had a good experience with them. I used synthetic brake quiet of the back of the shims and copper anti seize as directed in the brake squeal service bulletin from the Corvette IIRC and it has worked thus far with multiple car washes.
Those are the pads I'm using now. Other than the noise, they have been great. I think I need to tear it all down and give it a good cleaning and lube.

Carbotech is out. I am not paying 200 dollars for front brake pads. I don't care how great they are, they are not worth that kind of money. No way lol.

Registered
Those are the pads I'm using now. Other than the noise, they have been great. I think I need to tear it all down and give it a good cleaning and lube.

Carbotech is out. I am not paying 200 dollars for front brake pads. I don't care how great they are, they are not worth that kind of money. No way lol.
I have ProACT pads on my daily Honda with a 4 piston front caliper and they squeal like a banshee unless you brake hard. Have not found anything loose and have greased them multiple times to no avail. Have not had the problem with the ASP pads. Every once and I while I will get a squeal when I first move it out of the garage after sitting for a longer period of time, but goes away after the first stop.

Registered
Stock. I'll deal with the brake dust.

Registered
I have used Raybestos EHT on my last 2 GXP's and have been very happy with them ,low dust good bite and low fade compared to full ceramic brake pads.

YMMV

Registered
Less than 30 for each front and rear, hmm. Might have to give them a try for no other reason than seeing if less dust than what I have. I clean my wheels, back out of my driveway and its like a chimney exploded on them

-J

Premium Member
Raybestos enhanced hybrid technology pads are a mixture of both ceramic and semi-metallic material. Have used them in a wide array of applications, but none of which were Brembo brakes so take the comment for what it's worth.

every village has one
Premium ceramic from Brake Performance.

Registered
Hawk Performance 5.0 pads are working great for me, I have the GXP break calipers up front and CTSv 4 pots in the rear, I've broken in many sets of breaks and these were the only pads to never "butter up" or require me to put the pedal to the floor even after 10+ braking and acceleration cycles back to back on the highway. Even at the hottest ive gotten them they will still easily lock up the tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts