Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this happen? I do have BMR bars on full stiff. I know this is a big problem on Camaro's with aftermarket bars, but the diameter of theirs is greater than ours.

Is there an improved gm LCA for the lower rear? Does the BMR end link bracket do anything?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Man this is the first time I have heard of this happening on a G8. Like you said it was a huge issue with the new Camaros for a while which is why we designed our BMR end link mounting braces (ELK009) the problem is that they were designed around the Camaro lower control arms and they are different enough around that end link mounting point that they do not really work for the G8. I know GM revised the Camaro lower control arms to fix this issue so you would think that it would trickle down to the G8 but I am not sure. If you are looking for a set of stock lower control arms I would get with Greg over at Pace Performance and see if he can crossover the part numbers between the Camaro and G8. If you are looking to upgrade to an aftermarket lower control arm our BMR part numbers TCA028 and TCA029 could be a good option for you and are considerably stronger than the OEM arms.

Kyle

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoohoo... I'm the first!

I've decided to just replace the busted arm with a cheap OEM knockoff and go to mid position on the bar to reduce stress. She still handles pretty good with no rear bar and rides a bit smoother. The middle hole has better angles anyway. If it breaks again, the BMR LCA's all the way.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Whoohoo... I'm the first!

I've decided to just replace the busted arm with a cheap OEM knockoff and go to mid position on the bar to reduce stress. She still handles pretty good with no rear bar and rides a bit smoother. The middle hole has better angles anyway. If it breaks again, the BMR LCA's all the way.
I would be more than happy to help you out with a set of BMR lower control arms but lets hope it doesn't get to that point. Like Rob said it would be awesome if you could post some pictures up. I have seen this happen on Camaros plenty so it would be nice to see if the failure was similar to what was happening with them.

·
GM Enthusiast
826 Posts
Sorry to burst your 1st g8 bubble but I have broken both the drivers side and passenger side tabs..Unfortunately.

I had to have my exhaust guy weld in the tabs again and the future plans are for some BMR control arms.
Here is the most recent damage to the passenger side.

And the driver side:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Sorry to burst your 1st g8 bubble but I have broken both the drivers side and passenger side tabs..Unfortunately.... I had to have my exhaust guy weld in the tabs again and the future plans are for some BMR control arms.

Here is the most recent damage.
That is definitely some carnage there!

It ripped the end link mount right off the lower control arm. This is a bit different than what it was doing on the Camaros. With the Camaros the end link would basically rip out of the mount but the mount would still be on the lower control arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's is pretty much what happened. The welded inner side tabs are much smaller than the Camaro's and the thickness of the metal appears to be less. I think one of the welds break first then the rest slowly get ripped apart.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That's is pretty much what happened. The welded inner side tabs are much smaller than the Camaro's and the thickness of the metal appears to be less. I think one of the welds break first then the rest slowly get ripped apart.
That is defintely what appears to be happening to me also.

These were actually designed around the Camaro lower control arm so they are not a simple bolt-on for the G8. I don't really ever recommend them because it takes so much work to get them installed with the G8s. If we see this issue come up more and more in the G8 market I could definitely see us looking into building a end link mounting brace specifically for the G8s that would work without a bunch of modification.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up getting an OEM knockoff rear LCA. The store said they had two in stock then cancelled my order (RA). Anyway I got one off eBay and it shipped today. I did not want to go aftermarket cause I would have to replace both side, which I don't feel like doing, and doing only one side will make my home alignment go much faster.

The BMR rear LCA are the only ones that are priced right, but I don't like the fact they they will reduce negative camber. I am lowered on Eibach, but the settings are still midpoint at -1.0 deg. I did notice that the upper control arm outer bolt hole has some slop in it that can give you more or less camber. Probably about + or - 0.5 degrees if you need it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If BMR was to make a brace that could be installed on the car, I would be first in line.

Maybe one that you could drill the LCA on the two sides instead of on-top... like you need to do with the Camaro ones. Also the Camaro LCA's need bolt hole strengthening while the G8 ones need tab weld re-enforcement.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If BMR was to make a brace that could be installed on the car, I would be first in line.

Maybe one that you could drill the LCA on the two sides instead of on-top... like you need to do with the Camaro ones. Also the Camaro LCA's need bolt hole strengthening while the G8 ones need tab weld re-enforcement.
I am going to mention it to my R&D guys here now that it is becoming more of an issue and see what they think and bounce some ideas off of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.