Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, will be doing the complete DOD delete sometimes this Fall or next Spring and just wanted to post everything I will be getting. I also have a few questions that will be highlighted in bold. Yes, I already did some research but I am still confused on some topics. Internals are a bit more complicated than bolt-ons...

So here is the list I came up with my tuner :

1) DOD Delete kit from G8 Only

-BTR Stage 3 Cam
-GM LS7 Lifters or Johnson 2110R Lifters
-BTR .660 Platinum Spring Kit w/Titanium Retainers
-7.400 BTR Chromoly Pushrods

-LS3 Valley Cover (Includes Gasket)
-(2) Chevrolet Performance LS3 Multilayer Head Gasket
-(4) Bulk GM Lifter Tray Guides
-(2) Header Gaskets
-BTR Timing Cover Damper Seal
-BTR Timing Cover Gasket
-GM LS2/LS3/LS7 Timing Chain Dampener
-GM 3 Bolt Cam Gear
-ARP LS Cam Bolts
-Chevrolet Performance HD Timing Chain
-Oil Pickup Tube O-Ring
-(2) GM Water Pump Gasket
-ARP Balancer Bolt
-ARP Head Bolts and/or Studs
-GM Regular Oil Pump
-GM LS Oil Pan Gasket
-Blind Sealing Plugs (8)

Questions :

-LS7 Lifters OR Johnson 2110R Lifters ?

My tuner and BTR said the LS7 lifters would be just fine but numerous people reported the Johnsons being the most reliable option. Thoughts?

-Do I need both ARP Head Bolts AND Studs? or are the Studs just an upgrade over the Bolts?

-BTR GM LS Rocker Arm Trunnion Kit OR Smith Brothers Bronze Bushing Trunnion Upgrade Kit? Seems like the same thing to me. Is the Smith Brothers an upgrade over the BTR?

-Do I need LS3 Valves with a BTR Stage 3?

2) Circle D 245mm Pro Series 6L80E Torque Converter

-Stall Option : 3700-3800RPM

Questions :

-Single disk lock up or 3 disk lock up? No idea what that means.

-Tuner recommended Yank but can't seem to find one with 3800 option.

3) 3.27 Camaro LSD Rear Differential

Questions :

-Any better gear option for my specific setup?

-I have read it's a straight replacement, is that correct?

4) Transmission Cooler OR Camaro Transmission Oil Pan OR Both?

-This is a question itself. Tuner recommended the Cooler.

Final Question!

-I will also be replacing all the belts/tensioner/pulley. Anything else I should be focusing on for reliability or "while we are there kind of thing"? ANYTHING ELSE I'M FORGETTING? :|

-Will be keeping stock suspension and stock brake system for now, car has very low mileage and I don't plan on driving it like a maniac. Brakes and handles well for now.

I know this is a lot of questions but some help would be very helpful. Not a lot of knowledgeable people in my area and I don't want to bother my tuner with all those questions since I'm getting the parts myself. He could get them for me but the Canadian retailer was almost double the price.

This thread could also serve as future reference. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ditch the high volume oil pump. DOD engines already have them installed. Replace it with a standard pump, its all you need and it uses less HP to operate.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the middle of my build and noticing one thing missing on your list.... the 8 oil galley plugs or rivets needed under the valley tray. I just ordered mine this morning.
Thank you, will add it to the list!

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Seems like the kit at Blue Line Performance is pretty damn good as well, gives the option to add Stall AND Transmission Cooler AND upgrade to Johnsons...Interesting.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone else has thoughts/inputs? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Questions :

-LS7 Lifters OR Johnson 2110R Lifters ?

My tuner and BTR said the LS7 lifters would be just fine but numerous people reported the Johnsons being the most reliable option. Thoughts?

I started with the Delphi LS7 lifters, now upgrading tot he Johnson 2110's (not the 2110R). If you have the extra money, I'd go for it as insurance.

-Do I need both ARP Head Bolts AND Studs? or are the Studs just an upgrade over the Bolts?

Pick one or the other. Studs are the upgrade to the bolts. Won't need studs unless boosted.

-BTR GM LS Rocker Arm Trunnion Kit OR Smith Brothers Bronze Bushing Trunnion Upgrade Kit? Seems like the same thing to me. Is the Smith Brothers an upgrade over the BTR?

BTR uses a bearing whereas Smith Brothers uses a bushing. The bushing style will be stronger. The bearing will last longer, and make less noise. I'd go bearing.

-Do I need LS3 Valves with a BTR Stage 3?

Not unless you want to. LS3 valves will gain you a bit of RPM before valve float, but how often are you going to be running above 6000 rpm. I kept the stock valves for strength.

2) Circle D 245mm Pro Series 6L80E Torque Converter

-Stall Option : 3700-3800RPM

Questions :

-Single disk lock up or 3 disk lock up? No idea what that means.

All "modern" torque converters have lockup plates to "lock" the converter like a clutch. A single disk is the stock format, and is only made to be locked under light load/cruising. A multi-disk can be locked under WOT, and will gain you some mph in the 1/4. Downside is that they can be more harsh. You CAN lock a single disk under WOT (part of the tune), but it's the a question how long it will last.

-Tuner recommended Yank but can't seem to find one with 3800 option.

Yank could spec one for you.

3) 3.27 Camaro LSD Rear Differential

Questions :

-Any better gear option for my specific setup?

Not sure. I still have 2.92

-I have read it's a straight replacement, is that correct?

Yes

4) Transmission Cooler OR Camaro Transmission Oil Pan OR Both?

-This is a question itself. Tuner recommended the Cooler.

Both

Final Question!

-I will also be replacing all the belts/tensioner/pulley. Anything else I should be focusing on for reliability or "while we are there kind of thing"? ANYTHING ELSE I'M FORGETTING?

Water pump?
Starter?
Motor mounts?
Upgraded AC bracket?
Check your steering rack and lines for leaks (mine was leaking at the cooler. I put in a small standalone)

Are you doing the work, or taking it to a shop? If you're doing the work, there are a bunch of tools/tips/tricks to make life easier.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Seems like the kit at Blue Line Performance is pretty damn good as well, gives the option to add Stall AND Transmission Cooler AND upgrade to Johnsons...Interesting.
Both Blue Line and G8Only use the BTR "kit". When you order, the parts will come from BTR.

FWIW - I went with BLP's upgraded kit.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both Blue Line and G8Only use the BTR "kit". When you order, the parts will come from BTR.

FWIW - I went with BLP's upgraded kit.
Thank you so much for your time and the precious information, really appreciate it. My tuner will be doing the work.

What size transmission cooler would you recommend for that setup?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thank you so much for your time and the precious information, really appreciate it. My tuner will be doing the work.

What size transmission cooler would you recommend for that setup?
No problem.

What is your intended trans cooling setup? Stock cooler is in the bottom of the radiator. GXP came with an aux cooler, after the radiator. That setup if pretty common, and as an example, BLP's plug-and-play cooler is setup that way. If you go with that, a 15,000 - 20,000 btu cooler is good.

On the flip side, my car is setup with a standalone cooler (doesn't go into the bottom of the radiator at all). I have a 15,000 btu cooler, and it often runs a bit hotter than I would like. It also can take awhile to warm up in cold weather. The pros to standalone are not having to deal with trans fluid if you have to mess with your radiator, and when setup correctly, can keep things cooler, since the radiator can add heat to your fluid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an odd question, but wouldn't ZL1 converter be a good choice for the BTR stage 3? Since the camaro ZL1 has about 580hp on an LS3. I can't imagine it being unable to handle the power of a N/A 6L.

I'm doing similar set up as the OP, but really want stock-like driveablity.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sub'd. I'm in the process of making my DOD delete list and it's basically the exact same as the OP's list. I just picked up a 3.27 diff and once the new bushings get here it'll be ready to go in the car.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have an odd question, but wouldn't ZL1 converter be a good choice for the BTR stage 3? Since the camaro ZL1 has about 580hp on an LS3. I can't imagine it being unable to handle the power of a N/A 6L.

I'm doing similar set up as the OP, but really want stock-like driveablity.
It probably would work given a really good tune, but it's not a question of how much power the converter can hold, it has to do with how aggressive the cam is at idle and where in the RPM range it makes its power. In stock form, a ZL1 has a tame idle to make it appeal to the masses, and the torque converter is made to hold the power and give people a pleasant experience. Think 100,000+ mile reliability. Also, LSA engines makes tons of low end torque, so a lower stall speed makes sense. If you start getting into a big cam designed for naturally aspirated, it's going to make power in higher RPMs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ls7 lifters are fine. If you buy the ls3 valley cover you don’t need the rivets. You need atleast a 3600 stall converter. I have the same setup on mine with a with a circle d converter. I drive my kid to school everyday and he loves it

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered all of the parts today (ouch to the wallet).

So here is what I got if anybody was following this thread. Made sure to buy the right support parts as well (while you're at it you know)

Blue Line Performance Deluxe DOD Delete Kit

Pushrod Size: 7.425
Cam Selection: BTR III
BLP G8 Plug And Play Transmission Cooler: 20,500 BTU
Recommended Replacement Items: HV (CTSV V2) Oil Pump, Front Timing Cover Seal, Oil Pan Gasket, BTR Trunion Upgrade, Johnson 2110 SLR Lifters, Crank Pulley Bolt Upgrade to ARP

Yank Power Adder Series Triple Disk 3800 Stall

2010-2015 Chevrolet Camaro Rear Differential Carrier Assembly 3.27 Ratio from EBAY

Powerbond Underdrive Pulley Kit from SDPC

BMR Rear Cradle Polyurethane Bushing Kit, Poly, Street Version

BMR SuperPro Polyelast Motor Mount

COLD-CASE Silicone Radiator Hose Kit - Red

AC Delco Camaro Deep Transmission Pan Kit - Pan/Filter/Gasket

Lingenfelter Pressure Blind Sealing Plugs

***I have all the part numbers if any of you guys need them***

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you recommend a seller for the Camaro diff.

Seen a few on the bay
Ordered mine from hybrid-sales-inc. They have a 99.3% score so I figured they were reliable. I'll keep you posted!

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm in the middle of my build and noticing one thing missing on your list.... the 8 oil galley plugs or rivets needed under the valley tray. I just ordered mine this morning.
Talked with my tuner/mechanic and he said he never heard of those. Everything you need internal wise is apparently included in the BTR kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
10 Participants
GTRenegade911
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing