Pontiac G8 Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I was thinking of running my fogs as DRLs and I was trying to find bulbs that won't melt the housing. In the process I found some of the new CREE LED bulbs that fit our fog light housings, like the one here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genssi-2x-White-Power-Light/dp/B00GGZ8U5A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1438760042&sr=8-6&keywords=5202+Cree+led+bulb[/ame]

Before I commit to buying, has anyone else tried those type of bulbs yet, I'm referring to the CREE LEDs in particular? If so, do they run cooler than the regular halogen bulbs? Also, would I need to get load resistors or a harness for them since I would be using the mod to route the DRLs from the low beam to the fogs?!

·
Registered
719 Posts
LEDs put out very little heat so you should have no overheating problems.

I remember going into the shop manuals trying to explain to someone how to turn their fogs into DRL. I cant quite remember if this car has its own fuse/rely for the foglights, but it should be pretty easy. Since the DRL comes off its own circuit its easy to redirect that to either the fog wiring itself or the fog relay/fuse. LEDs draw so little amperage you wont have a problem using the DRL to power them.

I use the fog bulb LEDs from vleds and am very happy with them. The circular pattern they use looks good in our round fogs. Be careful not to get LEDs that only go in two directions as it might look funny in ours. Cant comment on the ones you linked to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
LEDs put out very little heat so you should have no overheating problems.

I remember going into the shop manuals trying to explain to someone how to turn their fogs into DRL. I cant quite remember if this car has its own fuse/rely for the foglights, but it should be pretty easy. Since the DRL comes off its own circuit its easy to redirect that to either the fog wiring itself or the fog relay/fuse. LEDs draw so little amperage you wont have a problem using the DRL to power them.

I use the fog bulb LEDs from vleds and am very happy with them. The circular pattern they use looks good in our round fogs. Be careful not to get LEDs that only go in two directions as it might look funny in ours. Cant comment on the ones you linked to.
Thanks for the info TurboMike. I think I'll go the Amazon route for now since they're cheaper and I don't really use my fogs that much... Also I'm in the process of acquiring a new set of headlight assemblies and I'm thinking of retrofitting them with true bi-xenon projectors and some red/white halos. Since the side where the high beams are will be pretty much useless once I retrofit the new projectors I'm thinking I'll get an LED bulb to put in its place and use it as my DRLs.

Thanks again for your response!

·
hasa Member
114 Posts
I bought these off amazon:

Partsam High Power Xenon White Cree XB-D SMD 5202

The first picture shows stock bulb on the passenger side, LED on the driver side. It doesn't do justice to how much brighter and whiter these are than stock. Second picture is LED fogs.

I had a bit of trouble getting them in so I trimmed just a hair off the bulb end of the 3 tabs and they went right in.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I have the same ones likwidred has. They are a great match to my LED Headlamps

·
Registered
912 Posts
Do you have a source for the side fender repeater blinker behind front wheels ? I need LED so I can use constant on with brighter blinker capability.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
^^^^^ What do you mean by the words "constant on with brighter blinker capability". If its a bulb that only turns on in sink with the front an back turn signal bulbs, are you saying something else ? If not (as for reference) you could contact Diode Dynamics about their 4 led versions (priced from $4 to $10 each. It looks like the higher priced unit puts out double the lumens of the incandescent.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks,
Yes i need led in order to keep in line filter cool. I purchased two lines one for each side of the car it essentially allows your side blinker to be constant on NO PULSE and then when you activate the blinker it will pulse brighter.... they will not work with normal incandescent bulbs they have to be led.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Reviving an old thread here. What bulbs do our visors use? Those are the only "amber" lights I have left on my car and boy are they dim and ugly. This info would also be nice to add to the list as an update ;)

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
For what it's worth, one of the two bulbs listed in the initial post for the brake lamp is incorrect. A 7440 is a single filament bulb versus the dual filament (tail/brake light) lamp on the G8. Disregard if previously stated.

Reactions: GXP25

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
6411led bulb works for the trunk/cargo light. Installed a Hella6411LED 5K, but am sure brighter bulbs are available and it has a frosted lens. Original bulb melted/discolored lamp assembly so replaced to avoid further damage. Part number for the lens is 12787007.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts