Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Buy it now?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  scorpio ps 
#1 ·
My G8 is currently leased through the company I work for. I am considering buying it out now to own privately so I can get a different company issued vehicle that is more practical in the snow/foul weather.

My buyout right now is $22,175 + tax. Car has 25k miles, garage kept and pristine.

Should I do it or put some winter tires on it and have salt caked on it all winter?

#3 ·
That's how I'm leaning. The buyout in March 2012 is 13k but by then it will have 50-60k miles.

#4 ·
I would buy it now but thats JMO. Good luck!

#5 ·
Ask yourself this question...

Can you buy your car anywhere else for that price in the condition it is in, with the options you put on it, and knowing the service history like you do.

Hell, I can answer that for you. NO!

Buy it.

#8 ·
Pretty sure Minnesota is in the North ;).

I haven't had any issues, this is my second winter. We've had just about 30" of snow this December.

#10 ·
Likewise, I drive my G8 through Buffalo winters, we tend to make National news for some of the "lake effect snow" that we have.

I have a set of 4 Michelin Xice2 tires on mine and she goes awesomely in the snow. Maybe you need the weight of a spare tire or more in the trunk to get better traction.

I love the g8 in the winter. Although, the GT's have the limited slip rear diff whereas the V6's do not, maybe that has something to do with my excellent traction as well. :dunno:

#11 ·
I have learned by experiance that good tires and an experianced driver can handle just about any snow conditions. Used to drive my 94 z28 in the snow all the time, used to love driving past the idiot in the 4x4 stuck in a ditch who didn't understand the physics of a 4500 pound truck not stopping fast on snow even though it would start of pretty quick cause of the 4x4 LOL

#12 ·
Zep, you wouldn't fair well in 4ft of snow in 3 days like we had. The cars pretty good with regular winter conditions, but when it comes to storms like that, not a chance. Driving the roads them self are not bad, its the parking lots, etc, that have not really been cleared yet, unlike a 4x4 truck, i cannot just plow through it.

#14 ·
I'd buy it now.
That price isn't bad for what you are getting.

Winter driving -
If you have the right shoes the car is pretty good.
It depends on what you are driving through just like any other car.
When the snow is deep enough your rolling resistance gets higher and higher.
No matter what your tire/drivetrain combo you will have problems when it gets deep enough.

#15 ·
2 weeks ago I'd have said to buy it as well but gas prices look to be on a steady climb past $4 a gal. Take a look how much you spend and see if you can afford another 30% more in gas.

#16 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Other than not wanting to drive it in snow, salt, etc. I don't want to keep racking up the miles on the G8. If I buy it I would only put 5k on it annually and could get a company issued vehicle that was a bit more practical in the snow.

I understand the G8 can drive in most snow conditions but I'd rather not subject the car to the salt that will be on the roads for the next 3 months. Last winter I had an SUV to use but that is not the case this winter.

I should know what I'm going to do within the next week. I'm considering a Wrangler or STI (I know...boo-hiss...) as my DD.

#17 ·
I'm buying it. Pretty excited to give it a rest from the daily driving on my brutal commute. It's already been detailed and tucked in the garage for the winter. (except nice days of course)

#18 ·
yay! heres a belated welcome to the party that you've already been at for the past few months! :gr_jest: enjoy it now that its really really yours :driving:

#19 ·
Hey thanks I appreciate that. I knew once the modding began I would end up buying this car either during the lease or at the end and get something else to drive everyday. Now I can put some additional personal touches on the G8...I'm thinking rims....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.