Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Can't speak for Maryland, but here a certain percentage of tint won't legally pass state inspection. Went to an inspection shop and the guy wanted to charge an additional fee to pass it so opted to remove the tint myself. Don't have a steam gun and used a hairdryer to peel the tint off while heating. Bear in mind, the slower the better as it gives sufficient time to adequately heat the adhesive. The vehicle doesn't have a rear windshield defroster grid and always recommend using a real professional to remove it. Was in a crunch for time, hence the homemade do-it-yourself tint removal. Lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Couple things you've mentioned, Kelly:
*Quick check for bluetooth - If you see a pullout/sliding cupholder located on the front of the rear seat directly above the driveshaft hump you have one of the late production models of 09 G8s where Pontiac added bluetooth and several other changes. These are often referred to as 09.5 models in our forum discussions.

* backup camera never offered in the G8s.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats!

Would like to hear some wheels options, something that sticks with a Pontiac theme if that makes since.
I agree with the 19" being the best option. I run the stock 19" wheels on my PBM with BFGoodrich Comp 2 A/S tires that I got from Tire Rack. If you want to stick with a "Pontiac theme" I'd just pick something 5-spoke similar to the 1960's GTO rally wheels, unless you want actual factory wheels which will set you back over a grand if you want 4 new ones. (Look at gtog8ta-dot-com)

I have a set of 17" wheels with Pirelli Sottozeros for winters. For me it's not just the softer ride, but the increased sidewall gives you a lower chance of blowout if your roads are as potholed as the ones in central Ohio get. I saw one pothole last winter that -- no joke -- was about a foot deep and two feet across. Saw THREE layers of pavement in there. There was a collection of hubcaps on the curb next to it. I now have a family beater for winter forays in such ridiculousness, but if you don't have that luxury, keep the 17" snows.

Hit 105 mph on 95 in south jersey...
It's crazy how easy it is to hit triple digits in these things.

I thought all GTs with Sport package had bluetooth, I dont think I do..I'll be ripping it out anyway, I want full bluetooth, if there's a backup camera option I want that also.
There's a solid Bluetooth add-on called BlueStar that replaces the Big Brother, I mean OnStar box in the trunk. Makes use of the steering wheel and mirror buttons and everything. You can find it at costartech-dot-com.

You can add a backup camera. Lots of DIY instructions here and elsewhere. PM me if you need help with this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the tips on Bluetooth.
On the wheels, I bought these, two will be delivered today, two tomorrow. Axis FL01 Graphite - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=Axis&wheelModel=FL01&wheelFinish=Matte+Graphite+Silver&tab=wheels

Also got the 255/40R-19 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA S-04 POLE POSITION XL - They will come delivered to me mounted and balanced from TireRack.

I think I'm set. Photos will follow.

Heading to the Gettysburg Pontiac Show this weekend - Anyone going?

Hef

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nice choice on the wheels. Post more pics once you get them on. costartech.com - BlueSTAR

Here is the link for the costar. I have one in my car and it works okay. Honestly, I would get one off amazon that you can plug into your aux port. I bought mine used and I really don't think the (new) price reflects the quality of the unit. I used to run the S-04 pole positions on the car before I went to Firehawk Indy 500's. Great tire but be careful with the accelerator...mine only lasted about 35k miles lol.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
13 Participants
tchr49
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing