Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are in at Belle Tire and they get mounted on Monday so what any car guy would do with the old tires, burnout time!

First Run:

Second Run:

Completely destroyed the tires, here is them by the end:

Off the car:

I need to talk to Pat G about my tune. It keeps shifting into second and third by itself in manual mode thats why the beginning of each burnout starts slow then finally gets better. They are not the best but it was fun!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like how you come out of the smoke in the first one. Nice job!

·
Registered
585 Posts
My very few attempted burnouts ever since getting the Pat G tune have done the EXACT same thing. It will constantly upshift to the next gear after a few short seconds. If you figure out why it does this I would live to know. I think it's something in his trans tune settings.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A proper end to any tires life.
Yesss!!!

I like how you come out of the smoke in the first one. Nice job!
yeah thats what some people thought was cool at the end of the first video. Didn't plan on doing it.

My very few attempted burnouts ever since getting the Pat G tune have done the EXACT same thing. It will constantly upshift to the next gear after a few short seconds. If you figure out why it does this I would live to know. I think it's something in his trans tune settings.
Yeah it seems to shift very easily into the next gear. I tried using sport shift compared to manual which helped out but still had the issue. I will send him an email here soon and see what he says. Glad i'm not the only one with the issue.

·
Registered
585 Posts
OP, when I emailed him about it some 4-5 months ago, he said if the trans temp is too high it will do that. But that certainly wasn't the case when I tried my burnout that's for sure. The trans temp had to be plenty low at the time. It was cool out and the car had barely been driven prior, just enough to warm it up gently.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Cool videos! I'd try it more but hate cleaning the car afterwards!! LOL

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP, when I emailed him about it some 4-5 months ago, he said if the trans temp is too high it will do that. But that certainly wasn't the case when I tried my burnout that's for sure. The trans temp had to be plenty low at the time. It was cool out and the car had barely been driven prior, just enough to warm it up gently.
hmmm interesting, my trans temp was higher because I drove it 20 minutes prior and was hard on it. But do you think its just his software then? Did he offer to try and fix it? I feel like its software but for sure could be wrong.

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
480 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
that is because the stock tune is set to shift at 8198 RPMs, or something, in manual mode and 38mph from 1-2 gear shift for manual tap mode. IE, stock shifting tune will never upshift just bounce off rev limiter.

a lot of people who tune cars up the rev limiter/ fuel cutoff from the stock 6300, area to maybe 6400-6500 area, for a somewhat stock car. this could be one reason tuners may like to make an auto upshift for manual mode.

so its somewhat common for a tuner to make it shift automatically vs just hit the fuel cutoff like stock tune does

also nice end to tires, and btw what do your tire guy say when you bring them in??? did you wait to long or just have fun. lol, not so fun to clean up the bumper tho, next time tape it off..
Yesss!!!

yeah thats what some people thought was cool at the end of the first video. Didn't plan on doing it.

Yeah it seems to shift very easily into the next gear. I tried using sport shift compared to manual which helped out but still had the issue. I will send him an email here soon and see what he says. Glad i'm not the only one with the issue.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is because the stock tune is set to shift at 8198 RPMs, or something, in manual mode and 38mph from 1-2 gear shift for manual tap mode. IE, stock shifting tune will never upshift just bounce off rev limiter.

a lot of people who tune cars up the rev limiter/ fuel cutoff from the stock 6300, area to maybe 6400-6500 area, for a somewhat stock car. this could be one reason tuners may like to make an auto upshift for manual mode.

so its somewhat common for a tuner to make it shift automatically vs just hit the fuel cutoff like stock tune does

also nice end to tires, and btw what do your tire guy say when you bring them in??? did you wait to long or just have fun. lol, not so fun to clean up the bumper tho, next time tape it off..

Well that makes sense then why it automatically shifts for us. Thanks for the explanation, I never got around to email Pat G.

The guy at the tire shop was laughing a bit when I brought them in the back and said "well looks like you had a bunch of fun with those," hahaha, he was a cool guy.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Pat G tunes your trans to do that so you don't bang the rev limiter all day in manual mode. For a long time many people complained that they could not get the car to shift fast enough in manual mode when at WOT, so a hand full of tuners like pat tuned that out. He can tune it back if that is a feature you really want.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
here is what the stock tune looks like with hp tuners, I think pat g uses efi-live tho

Yepp along with adjusting the proper shift RPM's that 2-1 shift needs to be changed to 2MPH so it will return to 1st gear at a stop instead of staying in second. A lot of people dont even realize they start in 2nd gear when coming to a stop in manual mode (unless you manually tap it down to first which the setting above will fix).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
MGM GT
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing