Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cabin Air Filter DIY

Step One: Locate the hood latch release lever under the dash on the left side.

Step Two: Open hood and locate the Cabin Air Filter area.

Step Three: Take a medium flat head screwdriver and gently pry the inserts out from the center of the plastic tabs. Caution need to be used at this point, as these little plastic pieces are slippery and tend to jump out of the hand.

You will remove 6 of the plastic inserts

and then remove 6 of these large plastic tabs

Step Four: Gently lift the plastic cover up and remove the dirty Cabin Air Filter. Grab at a corner and pull gently.

Step Five: Place your new Cabin Air Filter back in place. Make sure the filter is pointing in the proper direction when you re-install the new one, there will be air flow arrows on the bottom of the filter. The instructions show the filter being flexed buy both hands, from left to right into a soft -S- shape while lowering into position. The filter is flexible, but caution needs to be used as it will separate on you. Remove any debris that's visible. Place the bottom of the filter as far down as you can get it, and then gently slide the top of the filter into place.

Here's a picture of the new vs the old filter. It should be changed every year.

Step Six: Place all of the large tabs back into place

Step Seven: Place all of the middle inserts back into place

Step Eight: Step back and admire your work

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Please make sure the area is clean and free of debris.

Ensure nothing is in the drain tube located on the right side in the pic below.

I choose Napa / Wix Cabin Air Filter Replacement Part Number 9248.

This is printed on the back

·
Registered
857 Posts
Nice job...threads like this are awesome...car is almost a year old...time to change that after the MAF get's cleaned (raining cats and dogs now)...

·
Registered
881 Posts
I always wondered where that cabin filter was. In my previous G35, it was behind the glove box which required slightly more work than this. Thanks for taking the time to make this easy DIY.

·
<><>Morgen<><>
879 Posts
Very good SRG. Dang, I thought it was ok to wait 2 years, but that filter is dirty. How many miles on that filter of yours? This month my car is two years old with 18k miles.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That filter has 2 years and 40k on it. Kinda shocked me when I pulled it out and it was almost solid black. I've put more miles on similar filters before and they didn't look as bad.

I'll be changing every year from now on at a minimum.

·
<><>Morgen<><>
879 Posts
I'll take a pic of mine when I get to change it. Just for mileage comparison. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
try an ozone emitting air purifier. Somehow ozone kills off stuff like that. Look up Alpine Air Purifier...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Be careful of the ozone emitters. Yes it will kill microbes but when you get into your car on a hot day you will most likely be 2 to 3 x your OSHA exposure limit. Also, they won't last a year. Now let's say you want to get rid of some lingering smell or smoke damage, I think it's friggin cool how it works.

Just a little FYI.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
This is why I love forums, thanks you very much!

Subscribed!

·
Registered
187 Posts
FYI- Napa currently has all filters on sale for 40% off for this month only. The cabin air filter is $39 during the sale. I also picked up a couple Napa Gold oil filters which were only $3.50.

·
N.E.G8.O.C
374 Posts
3 more things to add to this
make sure the filter is pointing in the proper direction when you re-install the new one
there will be air flow arrows on the bottom of the filter(they must point to the HVAC)
also, the filter is flexible/bendable making it easier to fit inside the compartment.
Make sure to clean all debris away from cabin filter area(leaves, dirt, etc...) before installing new filter
BTW, great write up
:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great write up. Thanks for sharing this info. Definitely time to look at changing my filter. Almost 2 years old and just over 16K on the clock.

·
go wings!
552 Posts
FYI- Napa currently has all filters on sale for 40% off for this month only. The cabin air filter is $39 during the sale. I also picked up a couple Napa Gold oil filters which were only $3.50.
This is a great deal as my sh*tty dealer wanted 78 for the OEM part. I'm all over the napa gold oil filters, thanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts