Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the part number or where to buy? One to the sliding caliper bolts is seized and I can't get it out. I don't really want to spend $250 on the whole caliper assembly when I just need a bracket and bolt

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Are you saying that one of the bolts will not rotate. The guide pin and bolt are 2 separate things. If you think there is any chance of rotating it, you should pull the black rubber boot back (surrounding the guide pin) in a direction away from the bolt location, and put the squeeze on the large diameter portion of that guide pin (with say a nice pair of vice grips). Then applying pressure against the direction of the bolt removal, try to separate it.
If you can get it separated (but you feel its damaged), you can buy a kit containing 2 guide pins and bolts from places like Autozone for about $5, if the caliper casting is still good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolt came out, it's the female sleeve that's frozen in there. The top one slides in/out fine, the bottom one not so much. I've had it soaking in penetrant for 2 hours, torched it, vice-grips, hammer... hasn't budged. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow and lock it into a vice. I can always ream out the bracket if I can get it out in one piece. So Autozone would sell those guide pins and rubber boots?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I hope your successful at removing that sleeve (guide pin ?) from the casting. Both Autozone and O'Reillys sell the same stuff. Bolt/Guide pin kit for about $4.50 and a hardware kit (brake pad clips and rubber boots) for around $6.50 to $8 (depending on the store). Have not messed with a lot of calipers over the years, and a jammed guide pin, is a first for me.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I didn't even know our calipers had sleaves. Can you take a pic of the issue OP? I've never heard of this issue either.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a set of front and rear stock caliper brackets in the garage, just let me know if you need one, I'll send it up.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
I'm assuming it's the slider pin that's stuck in the bracket. Lock the end of the pin in a vice, and use the torch. It'll eventually work free. Take the rubber off, or it'll get ruined and you'll need to replace it. Odds are good you can buy an aftermarket kit with pins, bolts, boots, and maybe even clips.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
i'm confused by the problem. But will second that you need some vice grips to hold the end under the rubber boot in order to separate and re-tighten.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys, just got it all back together so no pics. Didn't see all the posts or I would have snapped one quick. The caliper itself floats as the pads wear to keep them even, and they float on these little pins in the caliper support bracket (u-shaped bracket). I noticed the issue because the top half of my pads had way more wear than the bottom half, which was weird.

I got it out with an oxy-acetylene torch, it came right out with heat. My little propane wasn't getting it hot enough. I rolled some sandpaper up and cleaned up the inside of the hole in the bracket, and bought new guide pins, bolts, and rubber seals at Advance ($20). Greased it up, and back together she went good as new. Here's a link to the hardware, maybe that will help show it.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Brake-Caliper-Bolt-Guide-Pin/_/N-8knjf?itemIdentifier=74788_0_4222_&newYmme=true

In case it helps anyone, I also had a bad vibration when braking. I've always been told that's warped rotors, but I've read a lot about it lately and it's more common from excess pad material embedded in the rotors. I already have DBA's, so rather than buy new ones or get them turned down, I just scuffed them with 80 grit sandpaper real good to get the old pad material off and installed new Hawk HPS pads. I can't even tell you the difference that made in braking power, it's easily twice as good now with no vibration. Will it stay that way? I dunno, but I can always buy rotors later if I need to.

Titan - thanks for the offer, really appreciate it man!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
hmm i just reused those pins. What do you mean by vibration when parking? i get some noise but no vibration and maybe that's my issue too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vibration when braking, not parking. The pedal and steering wheel would vibrate when the brakes were applied.
The pins are re-useable, you should pull them out and regrease them though. I only had to replace it because it seized. I've done brakes countless times, and this is the first pin I've ever had seized up.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
gotcha. mine vibrated too, but when i replaced rotors it stopped so i chalked it up to warped rotors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts