Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post... was hoping it wouldn't be failure related, but whaddya gonna do, amirite?

I got rid of my German POS in favor of good ol' American muscle, only to have some bean counter equip my 6.0 v8 with a ridiculous displacement on demand gimmick that ultimately ended up costing the engine it's cam and lifters. But I digress. Unlike most German dealerships, GM manned up and repaired the motor under warranty.

So now the car makes a pretty audible noise on launch. I can only describe it as a shuffle, or rustle. It's kind of rpm specific and dissipates by the time it's in second gear. If I launch in 2nd gear (manual mode) the sound is a little less noticeable.

I know the obvious answer is to take it back immediately, but the wife and I are going on vacation and desperately need the car for the next few days. It was in the shop for 10 days last time, and that just ain't an option.

All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe post a video of the sound. That description isn't much to go on. Also, warranty repairs cover a rental so why not just take it back and let them know if they don't get it fixed in a couple days you'll be keeping their ride until you return from vacation. Make sure to get that notice in writing on your service write up before you leave the car. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bring it straight back to the dealer and have them address it. Forget about trying to diagnose it yourself. The car didn't make that noise before it went in for lifters. Now it does, so it's their issue. Bring it back to them ASAP and do not beat on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumb dumbs diagnosed shuffle sound as a "bent heat shield" and then said they "bent it back" and all was good. Except that it wasn't. The noise is exactly the same. Went back a third time, and they said they needed it over night, since we told them it's very audible when the car is cold. Got the car back... noise exactly the same and getting worse! Service advisor asks me when I'm taking my winter tires off because they make too much noise to hear the rattle... but you idiots heard it the first two times, right? Or did you just ignore me and give the car back after doing nothing?! So now my summer shoes are on and it's going back in this week. There is also an oil smell in the cabin. Joy. I wonder if BMW has any deals right now ?!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. They started looking at the flywheel and transmission. Flywheel is fine, so they put some magic sauce in the transmission and asked us to drive it and let us know if anything has changed. Seriously?

·
Registered
528 Posts
WTF is wrong with these people? "Magic sauce" in the transmission? They are doing more harm than good. Take it to another dealership. Either that or start talking to a lawyer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Magic sauce is my term... they used "additive" that comes in a small vile. Next high volume dealer is my next move.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
dealerships suck - i'd tell you to find a good garage if it wasn't warranty work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me about it! My Sprinter is at mercedes right now (non warranty work) because their diagnostic system is so proprietary that there are certain issues that can ONLY be corrected with there equipment. GM dealers are like saints compared to German dealers. Those *******s are full on thieves.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tell me about it! My Sprinter is at mercedes right now (non warranty work) because their diagnostic system is so proprietary that there are certain issues that can ONLY be corrected with there equipment. GM dealers are like saints compared to German dealers. Those *******s are full on thieves.
Given your example, I'd be blaming the engineers for the vehicle and not the dealerships. *shrug*

Additionally, every manufacturer has ****ty dealers. I've yet to find a competent GM dealership anywhere near me. I've gotten to the point that I pay for parts and do everything myself, including warranty work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Magic sauce is my term... they used "additive" that comes in a small vile. Next high volume dealer is my next move.
Ok, so let me get this straight. Your car now makes a shuffling sound after the dealership replaced your lifters under warranty, right? Well, that sound wasn't there before, but now after they've worked on it, it is. And now they're putting "additives" in your transmission?

Maybe they should also check your washer fluid level too to make sure that's not the cause.

Whoever these people are, it's clear they have no idea what they're doing and shooting from the hip with their diagnostics in hopes that the noise, and YOU will go away. If I were in your shoes, I'd be pissed off that these same guys were the ones who pulled my motor apart to replace lifters. I would take it to a reputable person who actually knows what they're doing with LS engines, and have them pull the motor apart again, and check the new parts these clowns installed.

These scenarios scare me. Your engine is back together and running, but the technician has a quart container full of random hardware that he's not sure where it goes to from your engine. But it is running, so let's get it out the door.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update. Car went back to the dealership. They drop the oil pan, and some "regional tech" comes and looks at it. Within a couple hours the motor is out of the car and off to be inspected. Then I get a call saying we're rebuilding it. "Bearings, that's where the noise is coming from" Exact words.

Whaddya think? Is this engine ever going to be the same? It's obvious that during the cam and lifter replacement, someone f'd up putting it back together.

Usually i'm more on top of this type of BS, but recently I have WAY bigger issues in my life that are winning my attention.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Quick update. Car went back to the dealership. They drop the oil pan, and some "regional tech" comes and looks at it. Within a couple hours the motor is out of the car and off to be inspected. Then I get a call saying we're rebuilding it. "Bearings, that's where the noise is coming from" Exact words.

Whaddya think? Is this engine ever going to be the same? It's obvious that during the cam and lifter replacement, someone f'd up putting it back together.

Usually i'm more on top of this type of BS, but recently I have WAY bigger issues in my life that are winning my attention.
Greetings stormtrooper,

Incredibly sorry to hear about the vehicle concerns. I would like to assist by monitoring this repair process for you since things seem busy on your end. Feel free to send me a PM and reference this thread. I look forward to your contact :).

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
226 Posts
The only time I've ever heard a "shuffling sound" on launch, is the when the rear tires are spinning just a little, not enough to get sideways or squeal, and you still get enough traction to go forward, but they're still spinning just a little.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is getting ridiculous. Got the car back on thursday. The engine "rebuild" was done in house at the dealership. This terrifies me. They botched the cam and lifter job, so i don't think the answer is to tear down the whole motor, and put it back together. It stands to reason that if you can't do one task, you certainly can't do a far more complex task.

Car was driven home on wend night by the tech that worked on it. Reported all good.

Service advisor told my wife to "take it easy" for the first 2 tanks of gas. I didn't have a chance to drive the car until today. Just cruising slow through the neighborhood. I noticed a consistent quiet, but high pitched chirping... in a pattern. I figured the birds in the trees were the culprit. Yeah right. It's coming from the motor.

It's not nearly as loud as the original chirp that landed the poor girl in the shop for the cam and lifters initially, but it's the same variety sound. The tempo keeps up with engine revs.

The way I see it, these clowns have pretty much destroyed this motor.

Is it nuts to think they owe me a new one at this point? This last trip to the dealer was a 22 day ordeal. At least I got the rental this time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Time for a brand new engine at no cost to you. At this point, I would not be comfortable driving it around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like they didn't replace all the lifters but just the most damaged one. Mine has been in the shop since Tuesday with the same problem. I'm hoping I have no problems when I get mine back. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
agree

Time for a brand new engine at no cost to you. At this point, I would not be comfortable driving it around.
Stormtrooper i would have to agree , i think its time for a new factory replacement motor from GM. At this point i would not be comfortable with this engine nor the dealer reparing it. Find yourself another dealer ASAP.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts