Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to start saving for a cam and dod delete kit. My car is my dd but I dont mind a rough idle or some light surging at a stop light as ill probley keep the stock stall for a while. I really want a cam thats gonna give me nice gains all across the board not just down low or up top. A nice lope at idle is also a huge plus.

That being said im curious what all is needed for this install and about how much I would be looking at needing to save or start slowly buying the parts till I have them all. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
528 Posts
$1,600 or so for the cam/lifter delete stuff (not including labor.)

You'll need:
-Cam
-Lifters (LS7s, Lunati, etc)
-Valve Springs
-Push Rods
-Lifter Trays (LS2)
-All the gaskets, fluids, new hardware, etc.

That's the bulk of it. You can also talk to a reputable person like Pat G or Rick C and have them spec everything out for you based on your needs.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
$1,600 or so for the cam/lifter delete stuff (not including labor.)

You'll need:
-Cam
-Lifters (LS7s, Lunati, etc)
-Valve Springs
-Push Rods
-Lifter Trays (LS2)
-All the gaskets, fluids, new hardware, etc.

That's the bulk of it. You can also talk to a reputable person like Pat G or Rick C and have them spec everything out for you based on your needs.
+1 for contacting Rick Crawford.

Op, pm me your email address and I can send you my excel sheet with part numbers and pricing for the materials I used in my build.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Also, Greg at pace has a complete DOD kit for a very decent price.
I was completely stock, so the custom cam grind, pushrods, trunion upgrade, springs, DoD kit, intake, American Headers and exhaust to mufflers, and Pat G dyno tune came to roughly $3,500 I believe. Maybe a little less. No labor as I did it all at home.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I ordered my DOD delete kit from Pace. Good service. If you replace the water pump gaskets make sure to order 2!!!

I decided to go with Ti retainers and my stock valves ($80 vs $200). So far it seems okay to 6000+. I ordered my springs, pushrods, & cam from Brian Tooley Racing. Great service. He's got his own line of springs.

If you're doing it yourself, don't forget about tools - you will need to either rent, borrow, or buy a torque wrench, harmonic balancer remover, installer, and a valve spring compressor. I also found it was easier to take the wheel liners, front fascia, and air dam off. A push-pin plier tool makes that a lot easier. $20 well spent.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Awesome list Troy. I'll have to save that one

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You should check out my thread of getting cams installed price.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Troy- did you not do a dod delete or was that all just pieced out on your list?

·
every village has one
2,380 Posts
Come up with how you want the car to act, and go from there. Keep in mind, there's a "domino effect" with a cam swap just like any other. One thing leads to another. Ex: if you plan on a cam that needs a stall, you add converter, trans cooler, and maybe a deep pan plus any additional labor involved.
That choice just cost you in three/four other ways.
Some parts you can buy and sit on, but you might change your mind on cam specs more than once. Save that choice till you're within month or so.
Get at least 4k together to cover any surprises along the way.
Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok cool I saved your price sheet and everything that is very helpful. I appreciate it. This will be something I have to save up for slowly.

·
Registered
874 Posts
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81041

That's my build thread, I will finish in early July but you can see some of the steps to do-it yourself. There are many other do-it yourself threads on here.

As for cost, I would have to guess, I'm sure my wife can recite the cost right down to the penny though! LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
definitely put a stall in your budget. I put a cam in mine (.574/.579) and the driveability went to s*** - lurching at stops, jerky, and engine killing during hard braking. My mechanic said that since every car is a little different, some can handle a cam on a stock stall, but others can't. apparently my car's stock stall was very tight and couldn't handle the slightly higher idle the cam required - now I have a Yank 3200 stall on the way - ordered it the day after the cam install!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im into my dod delete 1200 bucks right now and I should have everthing I need. It should be done tonight.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think I have all my parts on order and I'm at $1418 so far. I bought .040 head-gaskets and they were a good bit more than stock ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.