Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on how to remove the hex T40 bolts? They are super tight and bending my bit. Anyone have a bit brand suggestion? I'd hate to strip one out.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
I used a snap on to remove and bluepoint to install. Didn't have any problems. Are you using an impact or a ratchet? Two different sockets because I brought my snap on stuff home from work and didn't realize I already had some (bluepoint) at home.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Try a manual 1/2" impact screw driver with a light tap on the handle with a deadblow. Had to do this on a friends car before with a quality bit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was trying it with a 1/2" ratchet. I will try to get a better quality bit. The one I bought at AutoZone is soft for some reason. It's stupid to have hex bolts on a torqued application...just me.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
They're on with blue loctite I think. 3/8 electric impact with a half dead battery got them off no problem for me. Then again that same gun got all the head bolts off no problem as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input l, I got two out. The other two I had to drill the head of the bolt off to pull the plate. Going to try to extract those two today. This has been by far the hardest part of this build, that's even including removing the oil pump.lol

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Ugh. Hindsight - left hand drill?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a nice extractor set coming today. These should be torqued to 11/ftlbs not 200. LOL

Reactions: Ramblerman

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm so happy, got them out in 5 minutes with this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,473 Posts
Bolt extractor.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I used a cutoff wheel to put a slot in the bolt head, slight tap with the chisel to start movement then backed out with screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I did try tapping in the torx bit with a hammer without any luck, now it's pretty rounded out. I may try the cutoff wheel or even using a dremel to cut a cross in it and try an impact phillips bit. The other three came out ok but certainly required more force than I would have expected. Should get back to it later in the week. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Thought I would update... got the bolt out fairly easily with an extractor... This is the kit I used and the 3/16" did the trick!

Extractor

Reactions: 383_Stroker
1 - 18 of 18 Posts