Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed headers a year ago, Kooks and a Borla cat back system. I have a lifetime computer tune I paid for as well. I'm thinking about upgrading my cam, and only my cam. Suggestions, thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
What is stopping you from doing it? I've posted my cost sheet multiple times, but it might be of interest to you: here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the cost sheet ragnarock. Is there an option to install a cam and get more performance without changing springs, and other parts on the head? It would be nice just to do a cam swap. Please advise

·
Registered
343 Posts
I go back and forth on a Cam daily ,but I think if you go with a Cam ,might as well do springs to get a higher RPM out of the top end .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cam, lifters ,springs, LS3 Intake valves, New LS3 chain tensioner, Standard volume oil pump, Remove and plug relief in pan, Check heads for flatness, They will be out of spec. usually twisted. Related gaskets and seals, And a good tune.
Do it all or you'll wish you did later.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
LS3 Timing Tensioner indeed. I feel that it is much better than the LS2 version that comes with the kit that I regret putting in mine. It keeps tension better, and while some folks have had theirs break that is not the norm.

As far as the heads being warped, I did not observe that issue when I did my rebuild. They checked out in spec. That said, having a machine shop resurface them is actually not going to be that expensive for just that job, and they can install brand new valve guides. :D

I will say this; choose springs that will go well with your combo. Don't just throw whatever comes with a kit at it.... Dual springs aren't the end all be all for everybody....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found my cam chain tensioner laying in pieces in the bottom of the oil pan when I did my cam swap. LS2 tensioner went back in on mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts