Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What made your decision on rear differential? Also the differentials are just a drop in replacement correct besides tuning for the gears? How much will the gears affect mileage? Pros and cons between the two?

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
I went with 3.27's because of the cost. I found some for pretty cheap. If I would have found one cheap enough I would have went with 3.45's. However, now that I have more mods I'm glad I went with the 3.27's since I have a hard enough time keeping traction as is. They are a direct drop in and yes you will need tuning so the trans can shift correctly. I can't really comment on mileage since I switched to e85 at the same time so now I get 10.5mpg.

All in all I say it depends on your mods and what you have plans in the future. I would love to do 3.45's if the 1st gear in the trans was a little taller.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My future would just be FI down the road. The car is cammed, heads, header, intake, ricks ported TB & upper intake. Made 461 whp. In working on a circle D stall 2800-3000 right now. Then this is my next mod

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is thier a big diff between the 3.27 and 3.45 and say i never do forced induction maybe just a cam and or 75 shot of oxide

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
From what I have seen, I will be doing the 3.27 gears in mine. Probably my next mod. If you know where to look, you can pick up a 3.27 Camaro LSD for less than $600. I have HP Tuners now, so that part won't cost me anything.

With stock gears, most people are barely getting into 4th gear at the track (1/4 mi). With 3.27's, they are using about half of 4th, and with 3.45's it seems like they are using most of 4th.

In 6th gear with stock 2.92 gears at 70mph, you would be running around 1800 rpm. With 3.27's, about 2000rpm, and with 3.45's around 2100rpm. The problem with 3.45's is that our 1st gear is so short (4.02), so 1st becomes almost useless without sticky tires.

I plan on more power in the future, so I'm going with 3.27s

·
Registered
160 Posts
From what I have seen, I will be doing the 3.27 gears in mine. Probably my next mod. If you know where to look, you can pick up a 3.27 Camaro LSD for less than $600. I have HP Tuners now, so that part won't cost me anything.

With stock gears, most people are barely getting into 4th gear at the track (1/4 mi). With 3.27's, they are using about half of 4th, and with 3.45's it seems like they are using most of 4th.

In 6th gear with stock 2.92 gears at 70mph, you would be running around 1800 rpm. With 3.27's, about 2000rpm, and with 3.45's around 2100rpm. The problem with 3.45's is that our 1st gear is so short (4.02), so 1st becomes almost useless without sticky tires.

I plan on more power in the future, so I'm going with 3.27s

Where should I look to get the 3.27 gears for less than $600.00? Please share your knowledge

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
car-part.com is a direct link to the inventory of most of the salvage yards in the nation. I have seen them as cheap as $550. Cleveland Pick-A-part frequently has them in stock, and you can usually talk a salvage yard down a little on price, especially if you find one local that you can stop in and pay cash for.

Search for carrier, not differential in the part selection BTW.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thank you sir!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Also check ebay and camaro5.com

·
Registered
160 Posts
What year Camaro do yall normally search for when looking for gear replacement?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have 3.45 yea if you take traction control off and romp first you are going to have a smoke show lol

It's nice on the highway tho when you step on it

·
Registered
94 Posts
3.27's here. I've had them in about 2 weeks now and I love it. I could see where the 3.45 is a tire shredder cause I'm having a little problem in first gear myself. Hasn't been tuned yet but that'll happen when it goes over to Rick in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just found a 3.27 diff close to me and its the whole carrier or the guy said its the aluminum housing, all gears. He called it the complete differential assembly/pumkin. Is this right and what else do I need. THANKS

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
I just found a 3.27 diff close to me and its the whole carrier or the guy said its the aluminum housing, all gears. He called it the complete differential assembly/pumkin. Is this right and what else do I need. THANKS

Yes the way he described it that is what you want. You might want to consider swapping out diff bushing while you are doing it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You could have gotten an GXP diff... if you could find one for sale and wanted to caugh up the money for it. The Camaro diff is much easier to find and cheaper. Make sure that the one you get did not come out of a V6 Camaro, as I do not believe they have the limited slip. There is a 3.27 ratio for the V6 cars, and one for the V8 SS cars.

BMR, Whiteline, Pedders, etc... for the bushings. There are three mounting points where the diff bolts into the car, and there are bushings in all three locations. They come as a kit. I think mine were like $65?? maybe. Also, do yourself a favor and change the fluid (if the diff you get still has fluid in it) while you're at it, even if it has low miles on it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the help. The diff i found was a 3.27 out of a camaro ss and yes it was relatively cheap and only had 200 miles. I have a question though. Does putting in a higher diff mean ill get more or less wheel spin on launch and will it mess up my clutches or stall anymore or less than my stock diff?

·
Registered
263 Posts
As far as bushings go Im really not sure of anything about them. But if I call one of the locations you mentioned will the be able to help me or do i need a specific size of bushings because of the Camaro diff. Also what fluid is most recomended. Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate it. Im wanting to do this and make sure I have all the parts and components so im not stuck.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts