Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a rear Camaro Brembo caliper/HSV rear rotor conversion using Hawk PC ceramic pads all around on my 09 G8 GXP. The rear Brembo calipers went on the knuckles with minor adjustments for centering. The pads had to be shaved back 3mm for overlapping of the rotor.
Everything went smoothly. I am hearing a squeal when my car comes to an about stop only from the rear wheels. I am not hearing the squealing throughout braking, only the last few feet when the wheel is coming to its last few revolutions. We took the the rear wheels off and slid the pads out and camfered the sides of the pads. The left side rear cleared up, but the right side still squeals.
My question is: Is it the Hawk PC pads? Has anyone else tried this conversion and have this happen? I have put in over 200 miles and it is still squealing. I'm considering trying the Hawk HPS pads.
Suggestions please.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am running the same set up with the HPS pads and have the squeal, same as you describe.. I added the hard stop 1mm stainless pad backing plates, and still there.

I plan to pull it all apart again soon and try to look for any wear areas to grease up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles are you running with this setup?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not very many miles yet.. The car is parked after the install last week waiting for a replacement Brembo front rotor. The first one showed up slightly bent and needs to be replaced. But every stop made while trying to bed the pads hoping the slight bend would be okay resulted in the squeak you described coming from the rear. There should be some mark somewhere to show where the noise is coming from.

That bend in the front rotor was only .0035 inch localized to about 3-4 inches of the rotor circumference.. But that was enough for a bad case of brake judder on these large diameter floating rotors..

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Are the HSV calipers the sole reason for needing to trim the pads or would one have to trim the pads using camaro rotors too?

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Just the HSV rotors.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Are the HSV calipers the sole reason for needing to trim the pads or would one have to trim the pads using camaro rotors too?
G8V8 is correct.. But to expound on it a bit.

The HSV rotors allow us to run the Brembo rear calipers without the need for an adapter mounting bracket and keep the stock emergancy brake functionality.

The rub is they are slightly smaller in diameter than the Camaro rotors, causing the need to trim the brake pad material that would overhang the outside edge of the HSV rotor.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
G8V8 is correct.. But to expound on it a bit.

The HSV rotors allow us to run the Brembo rear calipers without the need for an adapter mounting bracket and keep the stock emergancy brake functionality.

The rub is they are slightly smaller in diameter than the Camaro rotors, causing the need to trim the brake pad material that would overhang the outside edge of the HSV rotor.
Ok I was thinking this was the case but I wanted to make sure.

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
anyone find a fix??

·
Registered
848 Posts
I swapped my pads around..

Left outer to Right inner
Left inner to Right outer

I did it this way to keep the same direction of rotation in all the parts as a test.
So far.. in 3-4 weeks and an autocross event I have been noise free.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
I've got a squeal that comes and goes, never bothered to try and figure out if it's coming from the front or the rear. Hawk HPS pads on the front, OE Delco (but still Brembo) pads on the rear.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i had the stock brembo pads and they screamed every stop took it to a local brake place he said it was the pads being too hard and changed them to ebc red and now it noise free

·
Registered
881 Posts
My rear camaro brembos with stock camaro pads squealed as well. Switched out the pads for Centric ceramic pads and it went away.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I thought I was the only one with this problem until stumbling on this thread.
When I fitted the rear Brembo callipers I used the factory pads but with RDA slotted rotors.
The low speed squeal coming to a stop drove me nuts.

I then switched to EBC red pads front & rear.
At the same time the RDA slotted front rotors turned up so fitted them as well.
The squeal was so bad that I couldn't drive the car. 100% true. Couldn't drive the car the squeal was that bad!!!!!!!!!

I rang my brake supplier & he didn't believe me till he came & I drove him 30 metres before he said ok you're right.
He asked me what I wanted to do - I read here about hawk pads so I said I wanted the hawk pads & different rotors.
He supplied me new DBA slotted rotors and the hawk pads.
I fitted them & have driven probably 1500 km's and the rear still squeak on occasion as the car comes to a halt. It is only super minor now, and I can put up with it, but still there nonetheless.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I removed the HSV rotors and went with Camaro rotors, custom E-brake shoes and Squash brackets for the Brembo calipers.
All is fine now.

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
I removed the HSV rotors and went with Camaro rotors, custom E-brake shoes and Squash brackets for the Brembo calipers.
All is fine now.

I did the opposite and mine squeaks on the slotted DBA HSV rotors and Hawks, I guess I'll try the pad swap around if not a new pad..

·
Registered
848 Posts
I swapped my pads around..

Left outer to Right inner
Left inner to Right outer

I did it this way to keep the same direction of rotation in all the parts as a test.
So far.. in 3-4 weeks and an autocross event I have been noise free.
Now 2 months later and 3 autocross events.. Still noise free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts