Pontiac G8 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Finally got the chance to do the cradle swap today. Went really smooth with only a handfull of hand tools. I did have to clearance the spare tire well. Glad the info was already posted on the ABS wires. The front were trial and error when I did them.

I did have to clearance my V Brembos just a little to bolt onto the Camaro rear spindles.

Also had to reverse the lower control arm mounting bolts at the subframe end to provide clearance for my Corsa. It was tight, but it clears everything.

So, I am now rolling on 5th gen Camaro suspension all around!
Good stuff man. Congrats on having a truly one of a kind G8!

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Glad to hear you got it all done. Congrats

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thanks, and thanks again for posting the info on the cradle swap. Fired up today with no ABS codes.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
From all of the reading that I've done up until now, it appears that the half-shafts are a little shorter. My guess is that this is to make up for the revised control arm position, but without measuring each component individually I'm not positive. I know that the lower control arms are interchangeable, as well as the toe links and trailing arms, so I can only imagine that either the upper control arm or the spindle itself are where the difference is at.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Can't see much here, except the HUGE BMR full bushings and brake hardware, but here it is. I will have it back on the ground tonight for a final ride height measurement. Just need to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If it were the spindles and it were possible to use just the spindles I wonder if this were a feasible way to narrow the rear track to be able to run rear wheels with a little lower offset. Seems most options out there have to low of an offset to work well with the G8.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You would have to use the spindles, upper control arms, and half shafts, bare minimum. Then your brakes wouldn't mount to them unless you already have Brembos.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The cradle swap raised the back of the car about 3/4". I was able to get the ride height perfect by adjusting the coilovers back down.

Car actually rides smoother than it did with the worn out stuff in it, and it handles great. Left axle seal is leaking though. Word of advice - replace them while the diff is out of the car. They are cheap.

·
Registered
653 Posts
bringing this back

would a zl1 cradle work also?

i would think so

also who was the one that put the camaro front k member (engine cradle) in the g8?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I would assume that the ZL1 cradle would fit - I doubt that there is much difference in the actual cradle. The diff should fit as well, I would think even in the G8 cradle.

I'm not aware of anyone that has swapped in a complete cradle/ k-member in the front. I did however do a complete 5th gen front suspension swap. I think I am still the only one, but I've had a lot of interest in it. There is a sticky here:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155282

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
We just did another Camaro rear cradle/ 3.45 diff/ Brembo swap on a local car, and this really is an easy swap. I had to reference this thread to look up the ABS wire colors to splice, but no issues otherwise.

·
Registered
653 Posts
the zl1 rear diff is a 14bolt massive unit. it wont fit without extensive mods to the g8 cradle, and i think youll need the zl1 axles as i think one is a bt longer

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I understand that it is a massive diff, but Camaro guys are bolting them into SSs without swapping to a ZL1 cradle, and we bolt in an SS diff to the G8 cradle. I would assume that the XL1 diff would fit the G8 with either cradle. Won't really know until someone tries it I guess. I do agree that the axles might be different, and required for the swap.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
the G8 cradle is to small where the diff is at the top , not allowing the ZL1 diff to fit

but if the ZL1 diff fits the regular camaro cradle then , it would fit with the camaro cradle or ZL1 cradle

·
Registered
721 Posts
Super cool build guys!!!

I really wanted to swap everything to a full zl1 setup in the rear.
But there were many variables that i was trying to avoid. Not to mention we had to give it a shot the supposed "easy" way. Well it wasn't easy but the end results were great. If i were to start from scratch i would have done a full zl1 everything in the back.

The big thing was my very expensive wheels and brakes that i didn't want to have to change.

I'm running a zl1 diff, axles, and spindles. Everything required a little nip and tuck. And you have to run a fully adjustable toe arm, since the zl1 spindles push things out a touch.

Besides having a ridiculously over kill diff, the reduction in unsprung weight was huge going from cast iron spindles to aluminum. I forget the exact weight but it was around 10lbs per side of weight shaving. Car rides rear nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for documenting this swap, OP and those that contributed! I performed this cradle swap yesterday all by myself. It turned out to be much easier than I was expecting, and I even performed it in a parking lot at the apartment where I am currently staying at.

Backstory:

I moved back to LA from TN, and on the way down, I had a rear wheel bearing starting to fail on my G8 setup. I couldn't afford to have my DD down because there's no waaaay would I torture my neighbors by trying to drive my GTO that early in the morning haha. I originally searched on craigslist and ebay for a G8 unit nearby since my truck is still in TN so I couldn't actually pick it up myself. I then decided what better time to perform an upgrade so I started looking for a Camaro unit. I found 2 close by, both were theft recovery cars with no damage... I steered from one because the seller that was "parting out" became nervous about his car not being mobile after losing the rear cradle assembly. I was looking for a 3.27 instead of the 3.45, and since that car was a manual, I decided it probably wasn't meant to be. The second seller was selling an entire front and rear assembly, including brakes, struts, etc. I ended up getting a SMOKING deal on them, and he included delivery to my apartment. He said he was told it was from an auto car (apparently bought for a project build that never came to fruition). I was a bit saddened when I verified it was a 3.45 gear set, but I proceeded anyway since I don't know how much longer my G8 wheel bearing would have lasted... I am sure the other was right behind it.

Something I didn't see clearly outlined here is that the rear strut bolts holes are larger in the lower control arms of the Camaro. Luckily I had all of the hardware, but that might cause an issue for someone else. I was originally thinking that the coilovers for the G8 and Camaro were exactly the same - Sorry, I am new to the G8 modding game; I've had it since April of 2014, but I kept my hands off of it for the most part. I bought 768mphs car while I was down in Houston for TX2K that year if any of you remember that car. Luckily he already had the subframe bolts before so I didn't have to risk the first-time bolt breaking that seems very common with these cars.

Now I just need to get around to swapping the front... :D

First post!

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Thanks for documenting this swap, OP and those that contributed! I performed this cradle swap yesterday all by myself. It turned out to be much easier than I was expecting, and I even performed it in a parking lot at the apartment where I am currently staying at.

Backstory:

I moved back to LA from TN, and on the way down, I had a rear wheel bearing starting to fail on my G8 setup. I couldn't afford to have my DD down because there's no waaaay would I torture my neighbors by trying to drive my GTO that early in the morning haha. I originally searched on craigslist and ebay for a G8 unit nearby since my truck is still in TN so I couldn't actually pick it up myself. I then decided what better time to perform an upgrade so I started looking for a Camaro unit. I found 2 close by, both were theft recovery cars with no damage... I steered from one because the seller that was "parting out" became nervous about his car not being mobile after losing the rear cradle assembly. I was looking for a 3.27 instead of the 3.45, and since that car was a manual, I decided it probably wasn't meant to be. The second seller was selling an entire front and rear assembly, including brakes, struts, etc. I ended up getting a SMOKING deal on them, and he included delivery to my apartment. He said he was told it was from an auto car (apparently bought for a project build that never came to fruition). I was a bit saddened when I verified it was a 3.45 gear set, but I proceeded anyway since I don't know how much longer my G8 wheel bearing would have lasted... I am sure the other was right behind it.

Something I didn't see clearly outlined here is that the rear strut bolts holes are larger in the lower control arms of the Camaro. Luckily I had all of the hardware, but that might cause an issue for someone else. I was originally thinking that the coilovers for the G8 and Camaro were exactly the same - Sorry, I am new to the G8 modding game; I've had it since April of 2014, but I kept my hands off of it for the most part. I bought 768mphs car while I was down in Houston for TX2K that year if any of you remember that car. Luckily he already had the subframe bolts before so I didn't have to risk the first-time bolt breaking that seems very common with these cars.

Now I just need to get around to swapping the front... :D

First post!
That is a helluva first post and I'm glad you got it all worked out. Sounds like you have a nice daily driver on your hands :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is a helluva first post and I'm glad you got it all worked out. Sounds like you have a nice daily driver on your hands :)
Haha, thanks. I've been meaning to start posting a long time ago, but I didn't feel like I had anything post-worthy until now.

Just modified the tune (thank goodness for auto scaled transmission tables!!!) and took it for a spin. What a HUGE improvement, brakes and acceleration. I can't recall if it has ever been this quiet out back... the noise has been increasingly loud over the past 10k miles for sure.

I have a trick that others might find useful... Instead of cutting/soldering any of the wires, you are actually able to plug the G8 harness into the Camaro wheel speed sensors. I didn't think it would work, but I figured this was worth a try because the connectors on the Camaro harness were damaged, one beyond repair. I need to find a way to seal it off from the weather and make sure they stay together although they are pretty snug right now. I am most likely going to pack the void in the two fitting connections with dielectric grease and use a ziptie to hold them tight. I might just fork up the ~$50 for a Camaro harness to just steal the connections. I hate the idea of having to do that, but sometimes that's the only choice.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts