Pontiac G8 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Haha, thanks. I've been meaning to start posting a long time ago, but I didn't feel like I had anything post-worthy until now.

Just modified the tune (thank goodness for auto scaled transmission tables!!!) and took it for a spin. What a HUGE improvement, brakes and acceleration. I can't recall if it has ever been this quiet out back... the noise has been increasingly loud over the past 10k miles for sure.

I have a trick that others might find useful... Instead of cutting/soldering any of the wires, you are actually able to plug the G8 harness into the Camaro wheel speed sensors. I didn't think it would work, but I figured this was worth a try because the connectors on the Camaro harness were damaged, one beyond repair. I need to find a way to seal it off from the weather and make sure they stay together although they are pretty snug right now. I am most likely going to pack the void in the two fitting connections with dielectric grease and use a ziptie to hold them tight. I might just fork up the ~$50 for a Camaro harness to just steal the connections. I hate the idea of having to do that, but sometimes that's the only choice.
Spray that connector in plastidip and the coating should make it weather tight lol. All hail plastidip!!! :drink:

·
Registered
797 Posts
What did you guys do with the sway bar? I'd like to use my stock GXP sway bar but the Camaro clam shell and bushing are too big for the G8 sway bar, and the G8 bushing is too small for the Camaro clam shell.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
What did you guys do with the sway bar? I'd like to use my stock GXP sway bar but the Camaro clam shell and bushing are too big for the G8 sway bar, and the G8 bushing is too small for the Camaro clam shell.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
IIRC, I just reused the factory G8 bar, endlinks, clamshell, and bushing for now. Barely had to modify the spare tire well.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
^^^ that's correct ^^^^ g8 mounts bushings and bar

·
Fuel Low
494 Posts
Well, my 3.45 came with the entire rear cradle so I guess I'll be joining the club. Thanks for this write up. It's still helping out almost 5 years later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone confirmed that a Chevy SS Cradle will bolt in? I'm looking at a 15' cradle right now with differential locally and might make an offer on it. Do the shocks and shock mounts bolt up?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Has anyone confirmed that a Chevy SS Cradle will bolt in? I'm looking at a 15' cradle right now with differential locally and might make an offer on it. Do the shocks and shock mounts bolt up?
why ? other than the brembos , rear sway bar , and upper aluminum control arm its not much better than the stock one

they do have a different parking brake set up , theirs are electric and the cradle is made different to hold the assembly , which i might be interested in for my ppv if you get it

other wise the cradle should bolt in

·
Registered
44 Posts
why ? other than the brembos , rear sway bar , and upper aluminum control arm its not much better than the stock one

they do have a different parking brake set up , theirs are electric and the cradle is made different to hold the assembly , which i might be interested in for my ppv if you get it

other wise the cradle should bolt in
The price is right, better sway bar setup and lighter control arms as you said. It's also local and has very low mileage so for a little more than the price of just a differential I might be able to snag a complete setup. I totally forgot about the electric parking brake though, that's something I'd have to look into.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
im not sure about the sway bar being better , the 14 SS which has the G8 style sway bar , will out handle the 15-17 around the same road course

on the park brake , id think removing the cables and all from the SS cradle , and using the cables would be the best option

the diff is the same weaker unit the G8's have , only the 5th gen camaro has the better diff

·
Registered
44 Posts
im not sure about the sway bar being better , the 14 SS which has the G8 style sway bar , will out handle the 15-17 around the same road course

on the park brake , id think removing the cables and all from the SS cradle , and using the cables would be the best option

the diff is the same weaker unit the G8's have , only the 5th gen camaro has the better diff
Interesting, I assumed the differential was the same as the 5th gen camaro. Well thanks for the info, somebody might have gotten the jump on me on the rear so I might just hold out for a camaro cradle or just snag a differential in the future.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
even my 14 ppv has the same G8 diff in it , with 2.92's , my SS has the same diff as the manual gxp 3.7's

though i like the 2.92's

the joys of the cars being built down unda , and the camaro being built in canada

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anyone else done this swap? Do you have to get a tune after this?
Entire cradle swaps are not that common but Camaro Diff swaps are. I have a 3.45 Diff and yes, you will need a tune after the swap. Your speedo and shift points will be off. You can drive it without a tune but you need to be careful of your speed and I wouldn't go anywhere close to redline.

·
CBR629
389 Posts
Ok sounds good I will be looking for the cradle as I am coming up on 200k on the stock rear end so this way I have newer bushings axles etc without the cost of replacing all of the parts individually

·
CBR629
389 Posts
Will the rear struts from the G8 fit? I just put them on a month ago but I got a cradle off of a 2015 SS manual with only 3745 miles with Brembo calipers pads and rotors (which I will be selling soon)

·
Pontiac Crazy
429 Posts
Will the rear struts from the G8 fit? I just put them on a month ago but I got a cradle off of a 2015 SS manual with only 3745 miles with Brembo calipers pads and rotors (which I will be selling soon)
Yes, the rear shocks will bolt right up. I did a swap on someone else's car and he had just put new springs on and wanted to keep them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 125 Posts