Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Camaro Diff with Posi Mod & building Dff Spreader. pics added

I have decided to do the posi upgrade with the kit from Camaro Central.
Kit includes cross hatched carbon clutched with more friction material than the stock clutches. They also include pre-load spaces that the Jannetty kit does not. UPS just did the big tease, they brought the package but couldn't find the paper work so the left with it! :cursin: So I guess I can't start the photos until it is delivered. More to follow

· Registered
114 Posts
I saw this kit as well and it looks a bit more thought out. The knurl friction surface reminds me of clutches found in the 80's GM posi units. The stock setup has 3 friction surfaces per side, JRE added a clutch so that's up to 5 per side, and this kit looks to be 7 per side. What gets me is the JRE kit has you reuse the double sided clutch. Out of the 6 surfaces total to start with, you are reusing 4 of them. Kind of defeats the purpose as most people do the mod after their posi stops working. The only adverse thing with this kit is it now uses the back side of the spider gear as a friction surface were it was not intended to be stock form. I'm sure it is fine though. One thing about using the JRE kit is the preload is excessive. I didnt measure the gap but I know it was more than 3/16 so 400+ lbs. All the extra clutch surface with this kit should work a lot between with less preload. If you want to do the JRE mod, save yourself the money and buy 2 clutch kits (GM: 92230606) and a spring (Ford: EOAZ-4214-A). It's about $100 if you shop it. If you want all new clutches, you are going to need 4 clutch kits. Looking forward to seeing how well this kit works out for you.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good Info, I was wondering what OEM supplied the spring. Gave UPS a blast yesterday so I should have the kit today.
I looked up that Ford Spring, sells for $16.26 online. Tasca Parts centre was the cheapest

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well UPS has apparently removed its cranium from it's rectum and will deliver the posi kit tomorrow, almost a week late. With the wife away Saturday I can start the disassembly and photos.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kit finally arrived. 8 tab clutches, 6 splined, 6 pair of assorted shims and one stiff pre-load spring.

· Registered
379 Posts
Hey is this item PART NUMBER: CLU-595 on their website?

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes that the one I bought. My E18 socket should be here for the weekend so I can tear it down. Will be shooting for the 300 lbs preload.
Between the JRE instruction and Camaro Centrals, they give all the required steps. Camaro Central gives the best preload instruction. JRE
the proper torque sequence to put the case back together. Taking the housing in and out of the car is the only hard part of the job.

· Premium Member
5,509 Posts
What does this mod correct? Does the Camaro diff not work well in stock form?
Any limited slip style diff is going to wear out over time. My stock LSD is getting fairly worn out at 80k miles. This is a basically a rebuild for the clutches that wear out but this is also an upgrade as it will make the LSD stronger than it was in stock form with the added clutches and it seems with this there will be extra pressure on those clutches.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Stock preload springs is Ours and Camaro rears is prone to failure.
The "Non-GM" preload spring In the kit is most of the improvement. It can be had for under $20. The added clutches just makes it stronger and handle more torque.

· Registered
379 Posts
Yes that the one I bought. My E18 socket should be here for the weekend so I can tear it down. Will be shooting for the 300 lbs preload.
Between the JRE instruction and Camaro Centrals, they give all the required steps. Camaro Central gives the best preload instruction. JRE
the proper torque sequence to put the case back together. Taking the housing in and out of the car is the only hard part of the job.
Hey Drew can you PM me the JRE instructions? One of the sales guys sent me a file with a .P65 extension but I can't open it in Word,Adobe, Notepad or anything....
I see the Camaro Central instructions on the webpage.
I'm going to pay a Transmission shop to do the work for me. No clue how to do a Diff rebuild.

· Registered
3,017 Posts
if it helps, post#7

Since your not pulling the pinion, it just a parts swap.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Kit or the Labour? Starts this weekend, just got the E18 socket.

· OGOC Member
149 Posts
Having a diff shipped to me this week (3.45)
If I understand correctly, this is to mostly make up for wear that may of occurred, correct?

Since the diff I have coming has 400 Miles on it, is it safe to say there's no need to rush to this mod?

· Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Having a diff shipped to me this week (3.45)
If I understand correctly, this is to mostly make up for wear that may of occurred, correct?

Since the diff I have coming has 400 Miles on it, is it safe to say there's no need to rush to this mod?
With only 400 miles on it I would definitely wait until you have some more wear on it.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some Pic

Uncrate the rear end.

Diff Cover Off.

With the Caps off, no way it is coming out without a spreader. Buying the parts for one tonight.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, on to the bushings in the mean time.

Sawzall takes care of it of it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts