Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this? If so howd it go and was any modding needed? Im looking at the Texas speed headers for the camaro if its not super extensive to make them work.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I know you can for the LY7 you can. They don't really make them for the Base, so the camaro one's work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Camaro long tubes will not fit the G8. Shorties will.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think most will physicly fit the chassis just the factory/factory style mid pipes will not. Jba and pacesetter are probably the same from one to the next. The jba header even don't fit the mid pipe lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Why? if u want Camaro sound buy a Camaro? I am just curious.
Quite an ignorant statement to make. Besides the fact that a Camaro is a two-door with substantially less interior and trunk space than our lofty four-door; they are both derived from the same platform and have nearly the same powertrains. The Camaro's late entry into the market afforded it the benefit of the VE (Series 2) powertrain updates that we G8 owners missed due to the short model run in the United States. You can have factory SS auditory-emissions from a factory GXP, no compromise. It is the rear mufflers that really vary between the two models as the rest of the system components are very similar. Any exhaust modification to the G8 GT will net a more aggressive tone than stock as the intention was the obscure the DoD harmonics and meet typical American expectations for exhaust tone. All of the V8-equipped VE Commodores had the same mufflers as the stateside GXP; with some unique tip configurations or bi-modal systems reserved to the HSV family.

The original poster's goal does not seem to revolve around gaining 'Camaro sound' but instead getting an aftermarket part (headers) that are more-widely available than those specifically catered to our model due to the massive difference in production numbers between the G8 and Camaro.

Most Camaro headers should fit without issue, although I've read some hearsay about slight tolerance differences in the Kook systems. Pacesetter and Doug-Thorley units are the same between both models, requiring unique connection pipes to each application (Included in the DT systems). The big question fairly should be, why? The cost is not drastically different between the reputable systems (ARH and Kooks) and is even less so for the Doug-Thorley's (if you can find them) and OBX kits. For header-only kits (JBA/Pacesetter) where you'll have a custom mid-pipe and axle-back, you could purchase either, but the full-systems (ARH/Kooks/OBX) will require a lot of modification to the rear-section that will exceed the cost of the proper kit and may compromise fitment.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Not all Camaro shorties or LT will fit a G8. I found that out with the MBS shorties. The #2 primary comes straight down,then level and made contact with the A/C compressor. The Camaro has a different A/C compressor. Ours has a line on top that some Camaro headers will HIT.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm looking at the texas speed headers a lot nicer then obx and and I can't get those and the custom exhaust for about 800
Hard to tell if those will clear -- the forward primaries don't sweep back like most other designs that fit both cars.

Good luck with whichever set you go with -- hard not to be happy with the end result they should all offer. I was pretty happy with my OBX system aside from half-assed hardware. The Texas-Speed units do look nice, but are again, not a bolt-on solution even if they clear the front accessories. That puts them against JBA and Pacesetter, not Kooks/ARH/OBX and thus closes the gap a bit on price point. Just some things to consider as time may or may not be a luxury regarding your install.

·
The Right Kind Of Wrong
286 Posts
I have a pair of BBK shorty headers from a Camero that fit perfectly fine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Anybody find any LT's that will fit? Called tsp & they didn't know if they would fit or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
the cost of the PFADT headers and new motor mounts alone is more than a full ARH or Kooks setup. With the PFADT you would still have to buy/make all the piping from the collector to the mufflers. They look amazing, but the cost to hp comparison weighs better on DT, Kooks, and ARH etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.