Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car had thrown 171 codes about once a year since I bought it three years ago. They always go away by the hits cycle. But now Car is cam swapped with a rotofab, ls7 maf and solo catback. Car had the rear o2 sensors deleted with tune. Driving last night got a cel for both the listed codes. Cleared the code and got it again today on a quick trip. Popped the hood and noticed the air filter box to maf was actually loosed and flopping about. Is that enough to throw the codes listed??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Typically no, lean is unmetered air making it into combustion. Post MAF leaks like vacuum leaks, intake gaskets, pcv leaks. Could also be a tune issue. If you have access to datalogging or a scan tool with fuel trim monitoring it would help a lot. Would want to know if it is lean all the time, while idling only, or while cruising. Helps determine potential fault areas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Typically no, lean is unmetered air making it into combustion. Post MAF leaks like vacuum leaks, intake gaskets, pcv leaks. Could also be a tune issue. If you have access to datalogging or a scan tool with fuel trim monitoring it would help a lot. Would want to know if it is lean all the time, while idling only, or while cruising. Helps determine potential fault areas.

as I said that I just popped the hood to check again and it would seem like my catch can had a bit of a leak from the bottom as there’s was oil drips and it was slick...might this be the culprit?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pcv leaks can cause lean codes, definitely address it. I dont think it would be large enough if its only a drip. If you have some brakleen, while the car is running, spray/dust the brakleen around the leak and see if the engine RPMs increase.

If you want, post a couple pictures of the pcv lines, catch can setup and the passenger side of the throttle body where a few lines connect. They can pop off or leak as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pcv leaks can cause lean codes, definitely address it. I dont think it would be large enough if its only a drip. If you have some brakleen, while the car is running, spray/dust the brakleen around the leak and see if the engine RPMs increase.

If you want, post a couple pictures of the pcv lines, catch can setup and the passenger side of the throttle body where a few lines connect. They can pop off or leak as well.

Sprayed her down and didn’t notice any fluctuation in the rpm. My scanner is pretty basic but for the little bit I sat at idle this morning it didn’t detect anything. I’ll probably take her around the block a few times to check again. I sealed the bottom of the catch can drain and double checked the hoses. All seem to be good.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hook up a scanner, set it for bank 1 short and long term % spray carb cleaner around all vac hoses intake etc, when values drop like crazy, thats your area of leak

Reactions: stromboli86

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hook up a scanner, set it for bank 1 short and long term % spray carb cleaner around all vac hoses intake etc, when values drop like crazy, thats your area of leak
Still couldn’t find the leaks. I’m beginning to think I fixed it with sealing the catch can. I remember reading now that a unsealed or vented catch can could send a code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts