Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Bosch device on the drivers side of the intake manifold is ticking very loudly. When I put my hand on it you can feel the ticking inside it. Does anyone know what it is or what it does?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
my guess would be an evap. purge solenoid...? by the size/style of the lines going to it its probably something for emissions. thats my guess, now im goind to find the answer haha

yep its a purge valve!!!!! for your emissions system. probably gone bad or has a worn out seat. they click all the time, but when the seat wears out, they get louder. they are about 30 bucks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic, I will pick one up on Monday. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the purge valve and can't get the back side hose connector off. Any one know how?

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Hmmm looks almost like the same connectors as on the fuel lines. maybe one of those tools can help? I know they come in different sizes. Good luck. Oh also where did you get the part from ??

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O'reilly Auto parts for $39. The dealer wanted $52 + tax. This is crap, I have been trying for an hour to get this hose connector off.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
do you

O'reilly Auto parts for $39. The dealer wanted $52 + tax. This is crap, I have been trying for an hour to get this hose connector off.
do you have those quick disconnect tools i mentioned? I know the sell them pretty cheap at pep boys. I saw a set for around $10 They come in different sizes. it looks like they will work from your picture. id say give it a try cause the connector looks like it locks from the inside. Hard to tell from the picture.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
on connectors ive seen like that, push the whole thing on as far as it will go, then the inner tabs slide back (away from the valve) with a pocket screwdriver, then it should come off. if i wasnt in the middle of work id pull mine in and see haha. good luck

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not proud of myself but I did manage to remove the connector by breaking the purge valve off. I then proceeded to remove all the internal clips that held in place. I tried pushing it all the way in but that would not release it. I installed my new purge valve after mounting it in the bracket and slid both hose connectors on. It stays in place and is now quiet as a church mouse. I think I will check on the cost of a new back side purge hose assembly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think you were just suppost to squeeze the outer clip.. That's how most evap hoses work. The hose connector is oval shaped .

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am not proud of myself but I did manage to remove the connector by breaking the purge valve off. I then proceeded to remove all the internal clips that held in place. I tried pushing it all the way in but that would not release it. I installed my new purge valve after mounting it in the bracket and slid both hose connectors on. It stays in place and is now quiet as a church mouse. I think I will check on the cost of a new back side purge hose assembly.

Mine has made that ticking sound from the purge solenoid since I bought the car with 27k on it and every 3.6 I've worked on has done the same thing so I'm not exactly sure it's something to be concerned with but good to know that your replacement was quieter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine has made that ticking sound from the purge solenoid since I bought the car with 27k on it and every 3.6 I've worked on has done the same thing so I'm not exactly sure it's something to be concerned with but good to know that your replacement was quieter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
There is a huge difference in how quiet the new valve is compared to the old valve. If you can take off the rear hose easily, the swap is very simple and for less than $40, well worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Had to replace that on my car a couple weeks ago. I was swapping the intake manifold and like you I had trouble disconnecting the hose. Decided to leave it connected and ended up breaking it taking off the intake. I ended up using a drill to get the piece out that was stuck inside the hose. In doing so I damaged the connection slightly inside the hose and now it still stays on the new valve fine but is much easier to remove.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had to replace that on my car a couple weeks ago. I was swapping the intake manifold and like you I had trouble disconnecting the hose. Decided to leave it connected and ended up breaking it taking off the intake. I ended up using a drill to get the piece out that was stuck inside the hose. In doing so I damaged the connection slightly inside the hose and now it still stays on the new valve fine but is much easier to remove.
I am not alone. Thank you for the post. I also thought of using a drill after breaking mine off as well. I used a screwdriver instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts