Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start a thread on ECM / TCM monitoring using DashHawk or equivalent. I've been fiddling with mine for about a week now in my GXP M6, and I have a LOT of questions I'd like to post. Is this new thread duplicating someone else's or are you guys interested in a new discussion on this topic?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm interested.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK well my first observation is that the LS3 does not appear to use wide-band O2 sensors. All of the outputs related to WB sensors (volts, equiv ratio, other) are N/A or 0.0. There are 4 narrow-band sensors that respond (output in millivolts). The NB sensors are in front of the catalytic converters. So what are those sensors in the exhaust just about a foot *behind* the cats?

·
Juice Addict
469 Posts
They are O2 sensors as well. They are there to check the operation of the cats...so when one of the cats starts to go bad, that sensor tells the ECM to light the SES, code P0420 Catalyst System Inefficiency.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are O2 sensors as well. They are there to check the operation of the cats...so when one of the cats starts to go bad, that sensor tells the ECM to light the SES, code P0420 Catalyst System Inefficiency.
There are four NB sensors that read on the G8 GXP:

Bank 1 Sensor 1
Bank 2 Sensor 1

Bank 1 Sensor 2
Bank 2 Sensor 2

I wonder if "Bank" here means left or right, and Sensor 1 and 2 are before and after the cats, respectively. If so, then Sensor 1 would be used for feedback to the engine fuel management system (since you'd have to sense exh composition before the cats), and then Sensor 2 would be just a diagnostic sensor for the cats.

Where can I find out more about this stuff? The information I get on the www via google is really pretty useless.

·
Juice Addict
469 Posts
IIRC, Bank 1 is the driver's side, Sensor one is upstream of the cat.

Try forums for HPTuners or similar for info, or one of the LS1 forums...you may have to hunt for it though.

·
An Old Man In A Fast Car
100 Posts
There are four NB sensors that read on the G8 GXP:

Bank 1 Sensor 1
Bank 2 Sensor 1

Bank 1 Sensor 2
Bank 2 Sensor 2

I wonder if "Bank" here means left or right, and Sensor 1 and 2 are before and after the cats, respectively. If so, then Sensor 1 would be used for feedback to the engine fuel management system (since you'd have to sense exh composition before the cats), and then Sensor 2 would be just a diagnostic sensor for the cats.
bank 1 is left , bank 2 is right , sensor 1 is before cat and sensor 2 after cat , the ECM compares the two for system performance

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I have seen people referring to use of "wideband" O2 sensors on their G8's. Is this aftermarket? How do you integrate a WB sensor, since the ECM appears to be only reading narrowband (the type that read 450mV when cold and then vary fom there).

·
Juice Addict
469 Posts
Most wideband controllers have a 0-1V output to emulate the narrowband...at least my LC-1 does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts