Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got one of these for $99....can I hook this up without using a external amp? if so how

thanks alot

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/SBR-S83V-Alpine-Single-Enclosure-Subwoofer/dp/B005EFIH8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369425334&sr=8-1&keywords=sbr+s83v[/ame]

·
Registered
377 Posts
No, you will need an amp

·
Registered
464 Posts
As its 2 ohms, it could replace one of the rear subs by removing the speaker wires (2) from one of the rear subs and extending them to that box, but you won't be able to adjust the box's volume separately from the other stock rear sub.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Like Netfly said you could replace one of the subs in the rear deck with it. Will it sound OK? Probably. Would I do it? No. I'd get a cheaper 300w-500w mono amp that is stable at 2 ohms, a line out converter if the amp doesn't have high level inputs and a few feet of power and ground cable. You'll notice a huge difference with an amp powering the sub.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
Amp power is cheap these days. Get an amp.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You can hook up any subwoofer without an amp. How well it sounds is a different story.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I notice its rated for 300w rms, but I don't recall how much power the stock sub amp puts out. anyone?
I believe it's 50 watts per channel.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks Rylos. 50w should be enough to get some sound out of it. Blended with one stock suib it might make a nice balance.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Keep in mine that 50 watts is factory garbage watts. It's probably rated at 1khz and 1% THD. Actual output is probably closer to 25 watts per channel if you compare it to a quality amp.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that amps are really a tough job to hook up in our cars? is this true
I've not heard that before. A small amp off the rear mounted battery and a line out converter off the subs would be fairly simple. The only concern I would have is noise. It seems this car likes to whine. If you are going for a full amp replacement for the door speakers and such it gets much more involved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts