Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my stock spoiler off without breaking any clips so that I can install a SV6 spoiler that is on its way. I'd like to re-sell the stocker on here (it's Red Passion Metallic) but have a question. The outer shell is still connected to the base plate along the front leading edges but a few of the "welds" along the backside came undone. Can these be super-glued or epoxied back together?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I finally got my stock spoiler off without breaking any clips so that I can install a SV6 spoiler that is on its way. I'd like to re-sell the stocker on here (it's Red Passion Metallic) but have a question. The outer shell is still connected to the base plate along the front leading edges but a few of the "welds" along the backside came undone. Can these be super-glued or epoxied back together?
Good luck.

I tried and failed. Maybe I didn't scuff the spoiler up enough for adhesion. The adhesive stuck very well to the gray bracket.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I used a gasket sealant to help strengthen the bond between the top and base. Just a thin bead of it completely around the spoiler where the base is. Afterwards it seemed much more sturdy than beforehand so I was happy. I can't be certain that this would fix a broken spoiler but for one that isn't, it definitely makes it stronger.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These things are ABS plastic; wouldn't something like a liberal amount of Gorilla Glue at each "weld" point, clamped overnight do the job?

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
If that is so, sounds like getting a small can of ABS welding adhesive (used for permanently gluing ABS waste line pluming pieces together in housing) from a place like Home Depot or Lowes etc., would work just fine. Especially, if the gluing areas are ruffed up a bit with sandpaper.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I used JB plastic weld quick set on mine when it came apart on the car. Scuffed up the spots with 80 grit and it worked just fine .

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used JB plastic weld quick set on mine when it came apart on the car. Scuffed up the spots with 80 grit and it worked just fine .
Sounds good, I'll get some tomorrow, glue it up, shine it up, then post it up for sale on here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts