Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have zero problems with the MIL light for 9 years. Then I get the P0521 fault (oil pressure sensor performance). I install a new AC Delco sensor, an the problem goes away. 10 months later same fault pops up. This time I buy a sensor for half the price (thinking that if the AC Delco only last that long nowadays) I might as well take a shot using an alternate sourced unit (for half the price). After 5 drive cycles, the fault pops up again (well crap). Using "BarnesGN" disconnect reconnect connector cycling method (that corrected his drivers side seat heat problem), I did that to my oil sensor connector (using the previously removed sensor). This to eliminate any chance of pin to socket invisible corrosion. I then reconnected it to the new sensor still in the block. I also decided to change the oil an filter even thou the OLM still showed 70% remaining. The car has now gone thru several days an many start/run cycles, an no more problem. I'm leaning towards the oil filter as causing my problem. CAN an oil filter actually develop an internal problem to the extent that it screws up the oil pressure enough to create a situation that says the oil pressure sensor is bad ? If any of you know if this can (or has) happened to you as well as what the heck most likely happened to that filter, tell me about it.

This problem has caused a secondary problem for me. I'm due for a smog check, and resetting the fault code causes most of the OBD2 monitors to start their testing all over again. So now I'm caught between a rock an a hard place, until the monitors complete their testing. 4 of them complete their tests right away. MIS (misfire monitor) CCM (comprehensive component monitor) FUE (fuel system monitor) HTR (oxygen system heater monitor). After a couple of days covering about 50 to 75 miles, the CAT (catalyst monitor) an O2S (oxygen sensor monitor) come on line. I'm still waiting for the EVA (EVAP system monitor). I have read others taking a long time getting this monitor on line, an I can concur. I'll keep checking to see when it does happen, an will post up the total time it took for me (if ever). The good, is that even in California, you are allowed to take the test with the EVAP monitor in the *not ready* status condition. They are aware that a lot of cars never get that system monitor on line. An as long as there are no fault codes pertaining to that system, they will complete the testing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I work at a repair shop and have had oil filters plug up on these motors with DOD and cause that code because of low oil pressure. Going from 20psi to 50psi with just a filter change and nothing else. Verified it with a manual gauge hooked up also.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, my EVAP ready monitor is now back on line. The scanner went from amber to green, indicating that all the monitors are now on line. *Did not* have the ability to perform the EVAP testing as described by so many (which may have sped up the process). The car had to be used as it always is. I used about 1 1/3 tanks of gas with the car being forced to accomplish many shot runs an very few freeway speed runs. But it shows that it can an will happen, if all EVAP components in the system are operating normally.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Did you ever replace the filter UNDER the oil pressure sensor? smaller than shown, lol

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^^ I had bought one to go along with the sensor that I replaced 10 months ago. I reshaped a cheap pick (part of a kit (for a next to nothing price from Harbor Freight tools). This allowed that pick to be push down inside of that tiny plastic filter. The friction created, allowed the modified pick to easily pull that filter out. Dropped the new one in, but then it needed to be pressed down to its proper position. I used the pick (big mistake), as it ended up tearing a small hole in that new filter when trying to push it down. Removed it, cleaned the original an reinstalled it. Actually, the original was basically clean as a whistle to begin with. I now know better how to press it into place.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Have you actually checked what amount of oil pressure you have?

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^ NO--- I really should look for an adapter an gauge combo. That would allow me see exactly what kind of pressure this engine generates. Then test it at idle as well as with some reasonable RPM when cold, and doing the same things with everything up to normal running temps.

·
Registered
650 Posts
^^^^ NO--- I really should look for an adapter an gauge combo, that would allow me see exactly what kind of pressure this engine generates. Then test it at idle as well as with some reasonable RPM when cold, and doing the same things with everything up to normal running temps.
If you're an Android user, just get the Torque Pro app ($4.99 on the play store), and then order a $10 bluetooth OBDII adapter on Amazon. Then you can monitor oil pressure at all times. Granted it's relying on the sensor doing it's job, but in my experience, the sensor is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It had the AC Delco P48E, an it was replaced with the same. If this P/N is starting to become famous for going south way before its time, I'll need some help from you guys as to which brands of filters (with their crossover P/N's) that have proven out to be a better choice. I can drift away from some of the AC Delco products if its becoming dicey sticking to that brand.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
I'm doing my first oil change on my G8 as soon as tomorrow (previous I had it done with other fluid-intensive service, like the transmission or cooling system), and I'm using a Wix 57060XP. Not overly expensive and I've had good luck with Wix over the years. Dropping in Wix air filter while I'm at it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
When I had the P0521 one code, I was seeing around 13 psi of oil pressure at hot idle. I replaced the sensor once, CEL came back on about 100 miles later. At that point I changed the oil and filter (Mobil1 5w-30 and ACDelco PF48E), and the CEL stayed off for over 3000 miles. We'll never know the outcome though, because that's the point that I pulled the engine for DOD-delete.

So yeah, changing the oil could help. You could also switch to Rotella T6 5w-40. May help retain some pressure once it gets hot.

·
Low society member
91 Posts
I just had this code and changed oil pressure sensor 1st then used mobil 1 oil and k&n oil filter and it went away. If you search post “ do i really need new engine “ another member had this code also and has alot of input but i would change oil and filter

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Believe "e" core filters are smaller, less expensive, economy, and designed to be "green". Have not used an AcDelco oil filter in ages and Wix seems to consistently receive good reviews. Mainly use Purolator, but would presume better oil filters are available.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
Believe "e" core filters are smaller, less expensive, economy, and designed to be "green". Have not used an AcDelco oil filter in ages and Wix seems to consistently receive good reviews. Mainly use Purolator, but would presume better oil filters are available.

Purolater is what came off when I did my oil change. I also accidentally put in exactly the right amount of oil :wink3:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts