Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... well these two videos will answer that question in detail! I explain why you should or should not worry about doing so.

With that said, here are the videos!

The Junkman

·
Registered
288 Posts
It is also important to mention, you can damage paint with a PC, regardless of polish you use.

I have seen it done. You use enough pressure, on the same spot for enough time, and you will burn right through the paint.

You also still need to be wary of plastic edges like around the edges of headlights, as they can burn easily as well.

Edit -And as a caveat: Compared to a rotary, it is much harder to do, which makes the PC great for the beginner.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is also important to mention, you can damage paint with a PC, regardless of polish you use.

I have seen it done. You use enough pressure, on the same spot for enough time, and you will burn right through the paint.

You also still need to be wary of plastic edges like around the edges of headlights, as they can burn easily as well.
There are rock formations that have been formed on this planet over hundreds, even thousands of years. One drop can constantly hit one spot on the hardest rock known to man and given enough time, will wear a hole in it.

I think anyone who is going to take a polisher to their car is smart enough to figure that out. They are also not going to put the polisher on their car, lay into the thing like I did in that video and allow the polisher to stay in that spot long enough to burn through the paint. I mean, give the people watching the videos some amount of common sense.

The paint thickness gauge that I must use on my car cost $2600. To paint my car correctly runs about $7000. Trust me, I am NOT going to do anything or use anything that is going to damage my paint for the sake of a You Tube video. I know that my viewers are smart enough to understand this too.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I bought the Junkman's kit from Adams last year and gave the PC a try for the first time ever (never machine polished anything). It was easy to use, and the results were outstanding. I watched The Junkman's videos (which were very good, thank you!) and it really helped me with my process.

I will say though that the polisher is not for the impatient, quick-handed individual. This takes time. I spent almost 2 hours just on my hood. To properly polish the entire car, I would anticipate a good two full days of work with cleaning, claying, polishing, and waxing. But, when you're done, you'll fall back in love with your car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... I will say though that the polisher is not for the impatient, quick-handed individual. This takes time. I spent almost 2 hours just on my hood. To properly polish the entire car, I would anticipate a good two full days of work with cleaning, claying, polishing, and waxing. But, when you're done, you'll fall back in love with your car.
EXACTLY! The reason it takes so long is the PC's lack of power, which is what makes it so safe! That's what makes it the perfect polisher for the novice to machine polishing. It is not about fast, it is about safe and when the line is drawn in the sand, all of the novices are probably going to want to be standing on the safe side. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I completely agree. I would probably give my hood a third hood scoop if I used anything else besides the PC. ;)

·
Brewtus
757 Posts
Great info and conversation here. I was very irresponsible and was up until about 3:00AM last "night" watching Junkman's videos. I really wish I had the funds to drop on a full PC and polish kit right now. I have an ache to get the swirls and tiny "hair" scratches out of my clearcoat! Also, the 2 door dings from some A-hole! :(:drink::cursin: Anyways. I will have to be patient and wait for summer, as I need to do a little touch-up painting on the hood where I have a decent rock chip from some truck I was behind :( When summer comes, it will be an all-out paint-restoration-fest! Weekend project with a day off on a Monday, here I come!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The PC works great for that too. I filled in a very large chip on my door sill with a paint pen. The paint pen worked great, the pen clearcoat, not so much. I had it drip which required me to do some heavy sanding to remove...then had to repaint that, and this time sprayed some clear coat on. After that, it looks OK. I took the PC with Adams Swirl and Haze, and whoa, looks like factory new again. Just can't get that kind of look doing polishing by hand....I tried :)

One thing I learned from the JunkMan, if you plan to do some paint retouching and sanding on your car, stick to your lower panels and not the hood. The reflection of light is not forgiving on the hood. At least on my bumper, I can get away with my novice abilities and still have a great looking car. I actually started doing my own video on the G8 but it got way too freaking cold here so I had to stop and will start again this spring.

Amazing what a little paint (be it pen, toothpick, or what have you), clearcoat, some fine wet sanding, and the PC kit can do to restore those ugly paint chips these cars are prone to.

·
Brewtus
757 Posts
[...] Amazing what a little paint (be it pen, toothpick, or what have you), clearcoat, some fine wet sanding, and the PC kit can do to restore those ugly paint chips these cars are prone to.
I hope so! My chip, if you're staring at the front edge of the hood, is on the left side of the middle "tooth." Here:

Think it's safe to try touch-up, clear, and SHR/FMP that bad boy? Or too risky, as you mentioned?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope so! My chip, if you're staring at the front edge of the hood, is on the left side of the middle "tooth." Here:

Think it's safe to try touch-up, clear, and SHR/FMP that bad boy? Or too risky, as you mentioned?
You can try http://www.drcolorchip.com/ for small chips, works pretty well and when it will finally get warmer in our lovely Minnesota, you can stop by for detailing session, I have PC and everything for swirls removal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought the Junkman's kit from Adams last year and gave the PC a try for the first time ever (never machine polished anything). It was easy to use, and the results were outstanding. I watched The Junkman's videos (which were very good, thank you!) and it really helped me with my process.

I will say though that the polisher is not for the impatient, quick-handed individual. This takes time. I spent almost 2 hours just on my hood. To properly polish the entire car, I would anticipate a good two full days of work with cleaning, claying, polishing, and waxing. But, when you're done, you'll fall back in love with your car.
Big +1 to this post.

I had an 8 year old BLACK Ford Explorer Sport Trac that I did not take care of at all. I watched all of the Junkman's stuff, bought an Adams/PC kit, and you can see the results of two days' work on the Adams forum here. As I said at the end of the thread, when I went to sell the truck a month later, two different appraisers asked if it had new paint on it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Junkman Rules!

I stumbled across this thread on Monday. I've spent every spare minute since watching Junkman's videos. I'd recently started researching polishers, and quite honestly had become overwhelmed with information. I've spent many hours watching a friend use a single action buffer, and those scare the crap out of me.

Junkman - You are my hero! Based on your vidoes, and Dylan's supportive presence on the Board, I took the plunge and placed a big order with Adams this past Thursday (including the PC). Your videos have allowed me to know what products to purchase, and when and how to use them. I can't wait to get started.

A big thank you to Junkman for spending the time to make the videos and making them with elan! :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I stumbled across this thread on Monday. I've spent every spare minute since watching Junkman's videos. I'd recently started researching polishers, and quite honestly had become overwhelmed with information. I've spent many hours watching a friend use a single action buffer, and those scare the crap out of me.

Junkman - You are my hero! Based on your vidoes, and Dylan's supportive presence on the Board, I took the plunge and placed a big order with Adams this past Thursday (including the PC). Your videos have allowed me to know what products to purchase, and when and how to use them. I can't wait to get started.

A big thank you to Junkman for spending the time to make the videos and making them with elan! :)
Hey, thanks for watching! I had the same exact experience that you had when I first started doing this. Information overload, but no one would ever go into any detail. That's exactly why I made my videos the way I did. I want to help as many guys and gals as I can to keep from gettong ripped off by these jokers that call themselves detailers. Knowledge is power and I just want to spread the luv! :)

·
Red Sox Nation !!!
2,665 Posts
I have been detailing by hand for 20+ years. With a few show winners along the way. As most home detailers the word MACHINE strikes fear. But after watching those videos I just order the Adams kit with the machine last night.

Thanks, Nice C5 BTW. Don't forget to wave. :driving:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been detailing by hand for 20+ years. With a few show winners along the way. As most home detailers the word MACHINE strikes fear. But after watching those videos I just order the Adams kit with the machine last night.

Thanks, and I always be sure and wave! :)

·
Registered
319 Posts

You won't regret it - I picked mine up last summer and you won't believe the results you can get. AJ and the Adam's crew are good people with plenty of information that they are happy to share.

I was pretty fearful my first time working with it, even after watching ALL the Adam's videos and ALL the Junkman videos multiple times (what can I say, I'm a weanie and not so bright). It's funny, I never really noticed paint swirls my entire life, I mean, sure, I saw them, but now the thought of them irritates me - I've become a paint snob. :slap:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
shudog
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing