Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi G8 Family,

My 09 GT has the TVS 2300 but with the BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam and the ARH LTs to Solo Axlebacks, I don't hear the supercharger whine so I want to add the rear cog pulley (and I wouldn't complain about the extra HP). The only issue is to between the part, install cost and then retune cost, it is more than I can spend at the moment so I am thinking of installing it myself and then driving it 75 miles to the shop to have it retuned. Is it safe to drive that far with the extra boost but not being tuned yet or will it cause damage? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Grease Monkey
164 Posts
stay out of boost and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've heard of people damaging engines that way. If you have an HPTuners I would ask your tuner to throw together a really safe baseline tune to flash to get you to the shop. If not I would use an OBD2 or something to monitor fuel trims and such very carefully and keep it below 2k RPMs.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Have roadside assistance? Used roadside assistance on at least two occasions to have a vehicle towed from the driveway to the repair shop. Just a thought.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Played it safe and dropped the car off for the install and tune. Had the rear cog overdrive pulley and trans cooler installed. Went back to the 3.3 front pulley because the boost was too high and causing too much heat. New numbers are more than I expected. bare in mind this is a Mustang Dyno too...611 rwhp and torque was at 575!?! 😁That’s on 14 lbs boost. Now I’m thinking the next mods will be an interchiller, maybe 3.45 rear and convert to an 8 rib or 10 rib pulley system( is it worth it or needed?). The next oil change I’m thinking catch can, 160 degree thermostat and change the spark plugsStill drives like stock in the lower rpms and still breaking 20mpg on the highway. City is more like 13 mpg lol. Anyone have opinions or experience with the interchiller on boosted G8s? Let me know your thoughts on my future mod plans and if anything is essential that is missing. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm running a Frostbite interchiller from Pnptechworks and temps are always in check. Have a Glanzer Res and have gotten cold enough that the res has frosted over.

Had one ordered from another vendor that couldn't communicate delivery and 4 weeks turned into 4 months, cancelled and got the Frostbite within a week. Super simple to put in and definitely worth it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Rawr256
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing