Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, if all goes well today, I’m purchasing my first G8 today. 2008 G8 GT with some mods. Can any of you explain to me what has been done and if it’s problematic? I only know a bit about cars under the hood, I’m afraid. It felt great when my husband and I drove it, and my father (who used to have a collision/auto body shop) took a look at it also. He was surprised how good of shape it was in. I am having a mechanic look it over today also. Here is what the previous owner did:

Notable mods

Power
-219/223 112+0 Cam Motion cam
-Johnson slow leak link bar lifters (the $700+ ones)
-Milled heads with ls3 intake valves
-ATI underdrive pulley
-ARH catted headers
-Rotofab 4" maf setup
-Flex Fuel

Suspension
Koni adjustable struts
PPV rear shocks
Tein lowering springs

Reliability
Oil relief valve plugged in pan
Camaro trans pan

Any help would be appreciated, as these are quality different from the usual GM lineup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Welcome, nice looking ride your getting there.
I will let the more knowledgable comment on the engine mods.
The parts used are not the usual OEM parts and would be an upgrade from stock.
Drive safe.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The cam may be a little rowdy for daily use, but if you're ok with it, the mods are top shelf (Johnson lifters, ARH, etc.) Flex fuel on a NA build is rare but not unheard of. Did Complete Street build and tune it or was it just dynoed there? I've never used them but they have a good reputation. Are you in the Philadelphia area?

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Suspension
Koni adjustable struts
PPV rear shocks
Tein lowering springs
I wouldn't mix struts and shocks like that.

Also, while the Koni strut inserts have a lifetime warranty, I believe it may be limited. Meaning, that warranty only applies to the original [new] purchaser and not the vehicle the strut inserts are installed on.

They are good strut inserts though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cam may be a little rowdy for daily use, but if you're ok with it, the mods are top shelf (Johnson lifters, ARH, etc.) Flex fuel on a NA build is rare but not unheard of. Did Complete Street build and tune it or was it just dynoed there? I've never used them but they have a good reputation. Are you in the Philadelphia area?
I’m pretty sure he did the work himself. I believe they just dynoed it, but I will ask tomorrow. I am in the Philly burbs, yes.

I wouldn't mix struts and shocks like that.

Also, while the Koni strut inserts have a lifetime warranty, I believe it may be limited. Meaning, that warranty only applies to the original [new] purchaser and not the vehicle the strut inserts are installed on.

They are good strut inserts though.

Thanks for the input. The seller is meeting me at a local performance shop tomorrow so they can check it out for me. I showed the mechanic the mods list, and his concern was for the Johnson lifters, since I will be using it as a DD generally, and not on the track.

We were supposed to do the deal today, but he got gun shy this morning and said he had sellers remorse. I posted what happened in my introduction thread. Thankfully, his wife talked some sense into him, and we should be finalizing things tomorrow.

I am trying to avoid big repairs right away, I can do some adjusments later. I know I already have to put new good tires on right away. I’m sure that will cost me about 1k.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We’ll forget that. The jerk just sold the car to someone else from under me.

I can’t believe it. No warning. No call to see if I’d counter.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Whadda flake....there is a thing called Karma, he'll get his one day....
Look at it this way, if he pulled off that kind of stunt on you, what kind of a piece of junk was he trying to sell you.
There's other better G's out there.
Don't give up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We’ll forget that. The jerk just sold the car to someone else from under me.

I can’t believe it. No warning. No call to see if I’d counter.
Whadda flake....there is a thing called Karma, he'll get his one day....
Look at it this way, if he pulled off that kind of stunt on you, what kind of a piece of junk was he trying to sell you.
There's other better G's out there.
Don't give up.
I spent nearly two hours with this woman showing her my car, answering all her questions. I told her straight up on Monday the 22nd if you want the car today and you have cash, take it. She said she had to think about it and offered $11k later that night. I accepted on the condition that if someone comes with my asking price with cash in hand, they are getting the car. She said "Oh I totally understand that". Instead of picking up the car that night, she elected to schedule time for a mechanic to look at the car, which allowed other buyers to continue to look at it. Wednesday the 24th someone came with cash to pick up the car. I am not going to risk losing a sale with a cash buyer who is ready to make the transaction then and there, who would do that? Money talks when you're selling a car.

It would have been a totally different story if she left a deposit at my asking price or close to it, and simply wanted a mechanic to look over the car.

There was no bill of sale
There was no deposit
There was only a verbal agreement on the condition no one else buys it at my asking price which she acknowledged!

My G8 was in excellent condition visually and mechanically outside of the rear bumper, which I clearly mentioned in the sale ad. I was trying to let someone have a great car for a low price and this is the bull**** I get.

At this price I had a buyer nearly every day inquire about the car. I'm not gonna sit on my hands when a cash buyer is at a title place ready to take the car, especially on the condition that a mechanic has to "certify" the car.

According to her expert opinion on G8s, my price was too high so she should have no issue finding another one.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Two sides to every story, heard the buyers and now the sellers.
In retrospect probably should have kept my big mouth shut not knowing your side of the story.
My apologies for slamming you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well hello there neighbor. Thanks again for showing me the car, and even bringing it to me. I was not trying to waste your time. I believe we only spent an hour looking at the car, but you may be right.

I offered to give you a deposit, and I asked for a bill of sale/agreement to purchase. You told me it wasn’t necessary, and you would only sell the car if someone gave you your full price offer. I understood that. Because I do not know enough about car mechanics in general, I felt uncomfortable handing over several thousand dollars in cash to someone I met that day. I wanted a couple of hours to make sure I was sure about buying a 10 year old car, albeit in great shape. I tried to arrange for a local mechanic to check it out ASAP, being considerate of your schedule. The earliest I was able to coordinate that was Wednesday, which you seemed okay with.

Monday we had just confirmed and paid for a several thousand dollar Hawaiian cruise, so I also had to factor that in. Tuesday it seemed like the car deal would go through, so I cancelled the cruise, so as not to leave our family too tight. The mechanic was scheduled to look at the car at 9:15 am on Wednesday. 9:30 Tuesday night you told me the car was sold for a full cash offer. While I understand this, I was very upset that you hadn't given me any warning that you had another party interested. If you had, I may have counter offered over them.

I told you several times I am not a car expert, which is why I was hesitant to give you cash on the spot. My father had an auto body/ collision shop and my brother is a mechanic, so I know enough to be cautious about believing whatever a seller says.

Your car was in great shape, and I’m glad you got what your were asking for on it. I was upset that you sold the car without letting me know until late that night, as the cash buyer clearly would have contacted you earlier in the day. My husband suggested I give you cash on Monday, and perhaps I should have.

As it stands now, it looks like I may be purchasing an SS instead. I wish you all the best.

I spent nearly two hours with this woman showing her my car, answering all her questions. I told her straight up on Monday the 22nd if you want the car today and you have cash, take it. She said she had to think about it and offered $11k later that night. I accepted on the condition that if someone comes with my asking price with cash in hand, they are getting the car. She said "Oh I totally understand that". Instead of picking up the car that night, she elected to schedule time for a mechanic to look at the car, which allowed other buyers to continue to look at it. Wednesday the 24th someone came with cash to pick up the car. I am not going to risk losing a sale with a cash buyer who is ready to make the transaction then and there, who would do that? Money talks when you're selling a car.

It would have been a totally different story if she left a deposit at my asking price or close to it, and simply wanted a mechanic to look over the car.

There was no bill of sale
There was no deposit
There was only a verbal agreement on the condition no one else buys it at my asking price which she acknowledged!

My G8 was in excellent condition visually and mechanically outside of the rear bumper, which I clearly mentioned in the sale ad. I was trying to let someone have a great car for a low price and this is the bull**** I get.

At this price I had a buyer nearly every day inquire about the car. I'm not gonna sit on my hands when a cash buyer is at a title place ready to take the car, especially on the condition that a mechanic has to "certify" the car.

According to her expert opinion on G8s, my price was too high so she should have no issue finding another one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cash buyer texted me at 630 actually and bought it by 845 right before title place closed. I couldnt risk doing the run around with someone having cash in hand, especially since buying a car is very emotional and people back out all the time.

I think an unmodded SS would be a better purchase for you. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts