Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Have Bar Will Travel
716 Posts
I'm going to say pads are in wrong...When you pulled the pads off to check them did you pull off both sides at the same time or just one side at a time ???

One pad per side has a slight bevel to it. You can get away with installing both bevels on one caliper but you CANNOT get away with installing two straight cut pads on one caliper as that is the side that will lock up, especially when the pads heat up...one beveled pad per side has to go into each caliper in a way that matches the calipers beveled side...(hope I didn't lose you there on that last sentence...LOL !!!)

Take a look closely at the curved edge of the pads' backing plate and you will notice what I'm talking about.

EDIT: ADDED THIS PIC...notice the left side of each pad, the pad on the left has the bevel and it's very slight...

Hope this helps you...
while I agree with your premise I have to add 2 things.

the inner pad is still also the pad that had the wear indicator tab on it - unless pads for a new bmw or audi with the brake wear sensor wire.

AND

Any pads you buy today should have 4 pads in the box that have slight double bevels on them (either side). if they do not put them back in the box and get you a new set.

I haven't seen a squared off pad in a box for a car since the mid 90's

I didnt know about the bevel, but there are an inner and outer pad on each side. I have the pad with the wear tab on the inside of the rotor (this is the way I was taught, and the way the pads were already). I tried swapping them to the outside of the rotor just for ****s and giggles, but they wouldnt fit due to the wear tab hitting the mount bracket. Also, with the way the rivits are put on the back of the pads, (different for inner and outer) they will only fit in the caliper one way. You would never get the caliper on if they were backwards.

EDIT= I like the Autozone Cmax pads. I just hate the price. Are there any other aftermarket brake companies that use that design. I usually orderr on Rockauto, but if a customer ( I do TONS of side work at the house) shows up last minute and I dont have time to order, I'll run to vatozone and get the Cmax. I prefer them over the Wagner that Napa sells.
indeed on the fronts not so sure on the backs

when you pulled them did you happen to see holes or cracks in the pad material?

meanwhile - on new pads - I don't buy **** from autozone if I can help it.

failing that - I like the wagner thermo-quite pads (ceramic) from Oriely - usually cheap. or in once car on a dodge caravan I've used their store brand knockoff version of the same.

ALSO check rock auto for their stuff - again I recommend anything labeled ceramic.

and check maryland speed as I think they are running a promotion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I recently got a plastic grocery bag stuck/melted into a front Brembo rotor and pads. This cause very weak braking on one side and a bad pull under braking. I pulled out a much as I could and the melted rest wore away over time and braking returned to normal.

So anything is possible.

·
2009 Silver G8 GT Sport
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just an update on this. I'll be installing Powerstop Evolution Z17 Ceramic pads tomorrow when I put my H&R sport springs on. I'll update once I get a few miles on the new pads as to whether my issue persists ot not.

·
2009 Silver G8 GT Sport
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
New pads 100% fixxed the issue. Smooth and quiet now. I wish I knew what the problem withe the Delco pads was....they are in the trash now though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nice to hear that they're good again. Any number of things could have been causing the grinding sound. I've seen pads with internal fractures that seemed ok until removed, then a chunk fell out. Or the little springy clips were bad. Or the rubbery or cork pad on the back of the brake pad itself had hardened. Or the pad just had a hard spot so it wore unevenly and vibrated. Or... you name it, any little variation in the brake pad, mounting hardware, or rotor can cause brake noises.

The funny thing is, when the brakes don't make weird noises is probably the only time that brake pads are actually fully used, and even then sometimes the little squealer doesn't work right so they're used beyond the pad life and the rivets or metal pad backing ends up grinding on the rotor, still without making any noise... The frustration of replacing pads early is probably better than the cost of having to replace pads that didn't make any noise at all even when they started chewing up the rotors.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks like I'm a bit late to this party, but my brakes were doing the same thing at 32,000+ miles. Pulled the wheels off and there was plenty of pad left and they had never been touched. I went ahead and replaced everything with DBA rotors/Hawk pads and all is well.
I'm in Southaven if you ever need anything. Congrats on the purchase and welcome.

·
2009 Silver G8 GT Sport
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Nice to hear that they're good again. Any number of things could have been causing the grinding sound. I've seen pads with internal fractures that seemed ok until removed, then a chunk fell out. Or the little springy clips were bad. Or the rubbery or cork pad on the back of the brake pad itself had hardened. Or the pad just had a hard spot so it wore unevenly and vibrated. Or... you name it, any little variation in the brake pad, mounting hardware, or rotor can cause brake noises.

The funny thing is, when the brakes don't make weird noises is probably the only time that brake pads are actually fully used, and even then sometimes the little squealer doesn't work right so they're used beyond the pad life and the rivets or metal pad backing ends up grinding on the rotor, still without making any noise... The frustration of replacing pads early is probably better than the cost of having to replace pads that didn't make any noise at all even when they started chewing up the rotors.
So true!!! I do all the maintenance on all my families vehicles. I get the call "My brakes are making noise, can I bring it by in two weeks?" I just go ahead and order pads and rotors beacuse I know the rotors are trashed.

What was odd about this issue, was that it sounded like brakes that have just worn through the friction material and the backing is just starting to contact the rotor. A deep grind. Not a high pitch grind like a wear tab, dust shield, or bent hardware touching the rotor. I guess it was a bad batch of friction material or something.

Looks like I'm a bit late to this party, but my brakes were doing the same thing at 32,000+ miles. Pulled the wheels off and there was plenty of pad left and they had never been touched. I went ahead and replaced everything with DBA rotors/Hawk pads and all is well.
I'm in Southaven if you ever need anything. Congrats on the purchase and welcome.
Nice to know there are some locals. I'll keep an eye out. I'm in the S'haven all the time. I was born and raised in DeSoto County. Keep an eye out for me...Pics below.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can you help me with my g8

21 - 28 of 28 Posts