Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures on the caprice ppv brakes what they use is a single piston caliaper on the front with a 13.5 inch rotor and the rear is the same on the G8.

Attachments

·
9C3 road warrior
120 Posts
Interesting... Where'd you run into the Caprice at?

Eric

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At a repair facility

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the Pontiac is a 12 inch front rotor

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
The G8 GT's front caliper is also a twin-piston sliding unit. So I'm not certain the PPV unit would be much of an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
As a PPV owner, with a long history of developing and implementing brake upgrades on the B-body (94-96 Impala SS), the key thing to understand is that fitting as much rotor mass as possible inside the specified wheel is the first consideration, not whether the caliper has 1, 2, or 4 (or more) pistons. More pistons, by themselves, does not always equate to greater total braking force.

The PPV & Camaro LS/LT caliper is a single (floating) piston design--simple, cheap, and reliable, which is what a fleet operation (like PPV's) is all about. No bling factor--call it effective and unsophisticated....

The PPV's larger 345mm front rotor diameter, combined with a more aggressive pad friction compound, provides better thermal "management" and develops superior braking torque compared to the 321mm G8 rotor and twin-piston caliper package. The pads are quite dusty, however, and there can be some degree of brake squeal under certain conditions.

The single-piston caliper also allows this larger rotor to be packaged inside the PPV's 18" steel "cop" ventilated HD wheel with no clearance problems.

Bottom line - I would consider it an upgrade on a G8 (GT) because of the increase in rotor diameter/mass, in spite of the change to a "lowly" single-piston caliper. Your other option there is to look at the Cadillac CTS (not V) with J55 brakes--the same 345mm rotor is used (I think) with a twin-piston caliper (and different pads), but I'm not sure whether that setup can mount to a G8 front upright, or if it would clear an 18" G8 GT wheel.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm not sure what it would cost to "upgrade" to a set of PPV brakes, but I bet you could get into a used set of Camaro or CTS-V Brembos for not much more, and they definitely are an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I'm not sure what it would cost to "upgrade" to a set of PPV brakes, but I bet you could get into a used set of Camaro or CTS-V Brembos for not much more, and they definitely are an upgrade.
Was not my intent to argue that point or any other--it's about what can be fitted inside a given wheel size, and for the options available for the G8 with 18" wheels, the PPV front setup is good "bang for the buck".

Unless you choose to ignore the cost of changing to a larger wheel in the process, it's always going to be rotor mass that dictates the effectiveness of a given package.

Looking at your mod list, there's no indication of what wheel size you are using--but I am curious if it's with 18" wheels or something larger. You also don't clarify if your personal brake setup (or wheels) is 1st gen CTSV (which will clear 18's, I think) or a later iteration.

It also comes down to what the definition of "upgrade" is to the individual, the community, or by a certain standard. I'm not passing judgment here, but performance is first & foremost--appearance/bragging rights (ie. "It's got Brembos"--meaning what....it MUST be better?) or other considerations are a personal matter. If something that seems less-sophisticated ends up beating everyone else in a performance comparison (and I'm not suggesting this WOULD happen--but if it did....), would the street cred of the guy running the PPV cheapo setup be enhanced, or would the Brembo crowd still look askance at what took place, and consider it as "he just got lucky this time"?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does anyone know if our stock calipers would work with the PPV caliper bracket? Our maybe the CTS J55 caliper and the PPV bracket? The pads are held by the bracket I would think it would just be a matter of the caliper slide holes lining up. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I can see I've missed a few posts....been awhile since I visited!

1. The G8 twin-piston caliper will not fit the PPV bracket, to my knowledge. The difference in rotor diameter would not allow the stock G8 caliper to position radially in the correct position.

2. The CTS J55 twin piston caliper & bracket WILL fit the G8 (and PPV) front knuckle. The calipers are cast iron and quite heavy. As a unique application that just happens to use the same 345mm front rotor as PPV, there are pretty limited options as far as brake pads, and the OE J55 pads are known to be VERY dirty.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got it. So there is now way to use the twin piston J55 caliper with the PPV bracket either? That way you still get the pad selection from the Camaro/Caprice with a twin piston setup. Not that there is anything wrong with the single piston honestly.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Correct--there is no option to mix/match calipers & brackets. The brackets are specific to the caliper & pad configuration and FMSI pad specs, so the J55 CTS package is a unique combination of parts.

I don't think there's anything really special about the standard twin-piston aluminum caliper used on G8--the Camaro single-piston part is "cheap", and it's not aluminum, but for a track situation, the larger rotor from PPV could be a bonus, and accomplished at relatively low cost--and it fits 18's, no worries....still, for only a little more money, the Brembo setup may be the more attractive option, both from the performance and aesthetic/cosmetic perspectives--but Brembo's won't clear stock 18" front wheels, at least without a spacer (and possibly longer studs).

I did use Camaro LS/LT (V6) OE front pads on the PPV, with reasonable results--much less dust & noise, and lower wear rate on the rotors. Pedal is not quite as firm/direct, but a reasonable trade-off against the issues with stock PPV pads. Car is primarily wife's daily car for now, so no concerns with any diminished performance.

My next round of PPV brakes will be a full Brembo setup, using the 2015 SS sedan rear rotors, which are 360mm, with the same CTS/SS Camaro rear 4-piston calipers everyone typically uses--and keep the same OE park brake as used on G8 & PPV.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I have a set of front GXP Brembos that I had powder coated black by mike the powdercoater. I like them and want to put them on but I don't like how my second set of factory wheels will be useless the second I put them on. I have a set of PPV calipers coming that I got off Ebay just to play with to see if I could get our calipers to work (I like the way our stock PBR floating caliper looks better than the Camaro's). I might do some experimenting but looks like I maybe should have not bought them so fast.

BTW, for the police Caprice was there ever an available option for a floor shifter that isn't offset toward the driver? And are you able to put G8 tailights on the caprice?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Funny, Mike has my Brembo's now, and they're going to be black, too!

2011-2013 Caprice PPV with 9C3 (Detective) package had the same shifter configuration as G8, with the sport/manual activation by moving the lever to the right.

By the way, did you ever realize that the Holden auto shifter works the same way, but the driver is on the other side of the lever(?)....one of those things that wasn't "flipped" for LHD applications, and I wish it was. Seems a little awkward for the lever angle to be leaning away, rather than towards the driver.

Regarding your second question, it is true that they look like they might fit, but I've never tried it, and I'm told the tails will not mix between G8 and Caprice, as I had thought about the same thing.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Either the PPV of CTS J55 brakes are an upgrade over stock GT brakes. The larger rotor is the most important of bigger brakes (duh). The CTS
rotor is 345mm (25 lbs) over our 321mm (20.2 lbs). A similar 2 piston caliper to our stock one. You will get 90% of the braking from a brembo
set up and have not need to get spacers or different wheels to clear the brembo. Sure it does not have the bling of the brembo's. Just buy the pads of your choice to finish the upgrade.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
No big gain for the rear, 339mm to our 324. Parking brake is a different design too. the front is where the gains are.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
11 Participants
inov8rPPV
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing