Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Service Tech Approved!
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My G8 GT had 66k miles on the clock and my rear sat low. It felt sloppy going over bumps and My children and wife complained of the ride. So I had Caprice PPV Shocks and struts installed last week. I included Whiteline Poly Strut Mounts new moog end links all around.

Initial impressions were positive. I was happy to have tight steering once again and happy being able to go over bumps. Then the weekend came. I traveled with my wife and two children. I was excited to hear their feedback, but was shocked when my wife complained off the stiff ride and how she could "feel" every imperfection in the road. The car has a more "direct" feeling to the road. It doesn't lean as much in the turns or under braking. So performance has probably increased at the cost of on road manners.

Honestly, she is right. I was feeling the need to justify spending the money and was blind to the fact that the PPV struts/shocks were really made for a heavier car. I do feel every imperfection in the road. Maybe these are great for taking it to a track, but for a daily driver / family hauler I would not recommend these. I am stuck with them now. But I wanted to provide the feedback here. I am sure some of you will love them. But I miss the FE2 suspension. I miss that it wasn't as direct, but was comfortable. I guess this means its time to buy a new daily driver and reserve the G8 for weekend fun duty. I will probably be the only one who doesn't like the Caprice suspension.

For reference I still have the stock springs. My guy said they were fine. Perhaps they should have been swapped as well.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
My GT has 26k on it and starting to get sloppy over bumps too. So I just installed the PPVs on stock springs also. I had poly strut bushings for a few years already. I also characterize the PPVs as more direct handling but the wife hasn't said/noticed anything (which is good).

I don't notice the road imperfections more than before but I am also riding on new smooth tires. I should ride in the back to check things out as another G8 with PPVs noted some complaints from the rear. Overall the PPVs are what I am looking for in keeping the sport sedan handling.

Suggestion to oxbcat: You can smooth the ride with grand touring tires.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Hmmm... this is quite interesting. I've been hearing all about the PPV shocks/struts lately.

I wonder what the comparison is between a worn out FE2 (100% stock suspension GT) verses FE3 all around verses PPV HD Shocks. Are the PPV ones stiffer/firmer than the FE3's are?

·
Registered
418 Posts
wonder if the stock springs and poly strut mounts arent helping the situation more than the PPV struts.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
There's an effort underway to get Fe2, Fe3 and PPVs on a shock dyno but haven't heard of any progress. There is also a severe duty PPV sold by Monroe USA under their gas magnum line and I asked for the markings off of them but was too late since they were installed already.

Come to think of it, that's where I heard that other feedback about lack of comfort.

The PPVs may be stiffer than Fe3 as I heard the Caprice/PPV is heavier than a G8.

To reddeadG8's point, the poly bushings may be a contributor to oxbcat' wife complaint about feeling road imperfections.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm wondering also if it has to do with poly mounts? I've got the same stuff on order right now. Maybe I should get stock replacement mounts instead?

EB

·
Registered
335 Posts
I went with PPV struts, eibach springs and whiteline poly mounts a couple weeks ago. I havent got to drive the car with other people in it yet but by myself it definitely rides rougher than my blown out stock suspension. I like the way it rides and handles way better now over stock.
Its going to come down to personal preference whether this combo is right for you or not. I used to daily drive a lowered Z06 vette for years, its not as rough as it was.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Sorry to hear that your fam doesn't approve of the new ride. For a couple hundred more you could get some Konis on there instead and have all the softness or firmness you want. You could always sell your current setup and pick up some more stock springs to pop onto some konis. I'm sure there are plenty of them sitting in garages all over the nation that people would be willing to give away.

·
The Mustang dude
1,334 Posts
Im thinking the rough ride is because the stock springs were matched to the FE2s... you've killed that match up now. I bet with a higher rate set of springs, you'd get rid of the harshness you picked up with the new struts and shock combo. Maybe a set of stock PPV springs would do it... i dunno.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Sorry to hear that your fam doesn't approve of the new ride. For a couple hundred more you could get some Konis on there instead and have all the softness or firmness you want. You could always sell your current setup and pick up some more stock springs to pop onto some konis. I'm sure there are plenty of them sitting in garages all over the nation that people would be willing to give away.
I have heard konis with new springs are a pretty harsh ride. Since I have FE3's I have nothing to compare it against.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I bet with a higher rate set of springs, you'd get rid of the harshness you picked up with the new struts and shock combo. Maybe a set of stock PPV springs would do it...
Adding higher rate springs will not help the comfort issue as this is stiffening things up.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It is not just the PPV's. Poly mounts contribute a lot. It also takes some time to break in the struts/shocks. I had mine for a week before I tracked my car at Shannonville May 23. Now they have smoothed out. Give them a bit more time before you remove them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I swapped in PPVs over the weekend with whiteline poly mounts and new LCAs. My car has 82k and it had stock everything on it still. The new set up is definitely stiffer. That being said, I like the fact that I get some amount of feedback from the road and I love the way it corners compared to the worn out FE2s. My wife isn't as wild about the road feel. I've only put on 50 miles so far, guessing everything will soften up some after the first 1k miles but maybe not. Did all the install myself so for the cost I'm pretty happy, if my wife complains enough maybe I'll swap them out for FE3s.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That additional road feel will be from the front end. Swap out the poly mounts for rubber and that should soften it to satisfy the wife. Do you feel the bumps in the front more than the rear. This is why.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That additional road feel will be from the front end. Swap out the poly mounts for rubber and that should soften it to satisfy the wife. Do you feel the bumps in the front more than the rear. This is why.
Definitely feel it more in the front. I'll keep this in mind. At least that would only entail working on the front, the rears are a b**ch to get out.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The car is probably jacking down due to lower rate springs than the ppv's were meant for.

FE3 struts/shock ride nice on stock springs and pretty good for lowering springs, but hey do wear out faster. They did break-in and soften up in the first few months.

Koni's (just installed) ride softer than new FE3's when adjusted full soft with Eibach's. With the lowering springs, when adjusted about 1/2 turn up from full soft, they ride firmer then FE3's and are less harsh and less bouny. Any more than 1 turn up, you will jack down onto the bump stops and crash & bounce into that second consecutive bump. Not horribly, but not good for my back or max tire grip.

·
The Mustang dude
1,334 Posts
Adding higher rate springs will not help the comfort issue as this is stiffening things up.
It should, because the harshness is coming from the dampers basically being very stiff and the hard ride results basically from the springs being overrun and unable to control the wheels, almost bouncing them around on most surfaces. A stiffer spring (i.e. higher spring rate) will take more force to move the wheel upward, and will make it move more slowly on compression and allow the damper to do its job (controlling wheel movement). I had a simlar issue on my mustangs... very stiff Bilstein damper mated to a set of low, nearly OEM spec lowering springs... made the car ride like $hit. Replaced the springs with a set of VERY high rate (comparably speaking) H&Rs...car rides smoother than a stock mustang, while staying very connected to the road. It'll be the same fix here Im sure.
You just cant slap together a HD level damper with a stock spring and expect the same ride.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I installed FE3 this last weekend along with the front SS springs (rears won't work with our rear top spring mount). I think the majority of their complaining about the stiff ppv dampers with stock springs would be right now and as they get broke in and get used to it would forget about it. Mine front poly mounts jolt every so often going over in a turn or driveway, I'm guessing its because of how hard poly is unlike rubber it doesn't conform to the top absorbing the shock. But turns soo much better and all FE2 were crapped out, I advise everyone I talk to never put the FE2 back on. At only 54k they were done.

For the SS front springs they brought the car down to pre-poly height, without going to lowering springs.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It is not just the PPV's. Poly mounts contribute a lot. It also takes some time to break in the struts/shocks. I had mine for a week before I tracked my car at Shannonville May 23. Now they have smoothed out. Give them a bit more time before you remove them.
I noticed that a lot of cars in the vids were looking pretty flat in cornering and times reflected it. I didn't get to ask but, how did the new setup feel?

1 - 20 of 131 Posts