Pontiac G8 Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can those Koni yellow adjustable shocks be set softer than FE3?

My 09 G8 GXP came with FE3 shocks, but they aren't available anymore and I need to change them as they are worn out. I liked how G8 with FE3 rode, and do not want to make it harsher
I did not find the Konis to be harsher than stock on my GT so they should be fine on a GXP. I'm sure it helped that I ran rubber strut mounts instead of poly. Also keep in mind that only the rebound is adjustable on the Konis. This is so you can pair the shocks to your springs not so you can adjust ride quality. I always ran full soft. If anything they improved ride quality because the body motion was so well controlled.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
400 Posts
This past April I replaced my GT's well worn out struts with PPV units, and while I was at it I went with H&R Sport Springs and SpeedPro Polycast mounts. So far no complaints about ride or seasickness, and we have some pretty gnarly roads here in western Connecticut.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So I've finally replaced the stock shocks on my GXP to the PPV. Otherwise everything is stock, the front upper strut bushings are new but stock.

The ride got a little harsher, with a bit more vibration from the road unevenness, but I can't really complain, I don't notice it much.

I like the handling a lot better, the car stays a lot flatter and reacts faster. This is of course not a fair comparison, as the old shocks had 100K miles on them, but I think the original FE3 shocks were more floaty from new.

Overall, I'd say a great result, a much nicer handling without much extra harshness. This is the suspension that GXP should have had from the start (and I'd say the other G8s too).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
So I've finally replaced the stock shocks on my GXP to the PPV. Otherwise everything is stock, the front upper strut bushings are new but stock.

The ride got a little harsher, with a bit more vibration from the road unevenness, but I can't really complain, I don't notice it much.

I like the handling a lot better, the car stays a lot flatter and reacts faster. This is of course not a fair comparison, as the old shocks had 100K miles on them, but I think the original FE3 shocks were more floaty from new.

Overall, I'd say a great result, a much nicer handling without much extra harshness. This is the suspension that GXP should have had from the start (and I'd say the other G8s too).
The PPVs will smooth out after a bunch of break-in miles. I swapped out the FE2s on my GT at 25k miles to the PPVs. Like you said this is what the G8s should have come with from the factory.

·
400 Posts
What kind of springs are you running? I head that lowering springs make it almost unbearable to drive on the street...
Depends on your streets. I'm running H&R Sport Springs with the PPV struts and I don't find them objectionable, even on the pothole riddled roads in my area.

·
F1rehawk
677 Posts
You will most likely need to roll your fenders with lowering springs and 20s. I'm gonna go with the stock springs and the PPV shocks/struts.

·
400 Posts
Any issues with the wheel fitment with this combo? Still trying to figure out if I need to roll my fenders with the cts v rims...
I'm on stock 19s (18s during the winter) and I have zero rub. H&R Sports only drop the car about an inch or so.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts