1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
****cray
2,199 Posts

Perhaps the biggest automotive tragedy of the past decade, Pontiac’s hottest version of the G8 was practically stillborn. It arrived on dealer lots just months before the Pontiac brand was axed, a casualty of GM’s bankruptcy. Adapted from GM’s Australian Holden Commodore, all G8s were a delight to pilot, with sharp, BMW-esque handling; rear-wheel drive; and powerful engines. But only the GXP came with a 6.2-liter V-8 derived from the Corvette, and it offered a six-speed manual transmission. With 415 hp, the handsome sedan ripped off 0-to-60 runs in 4.7 seconds and sounded like a pissed-off African lion. Fewer than 2000 were imported to the U.S., virtually guaranteeing collectible status for this Australian-American.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I see pontiacs driving everywhere. Literally was at a stop light yesterday and there where 3 stopped including me. How GM thought of axing pontiac was a good idea is beyond me.

·
Infantry Sniper
857 Posts
Nice, I got 2 our of the 10 driven so far. H1 and GXP. Now I need to figure out where to get behind the other 8!

·
Registered
21 Posts
they axed Pontiac and kept buick. because 70 year olds will keep this brand in business for a while. makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
They kept Buick because they outsold Pontiac world wide. Pontiac only had stronger sales in the u.s.
China loves those buicks.......and the Mercedes R class(vast majority we build at the plant are going there lol).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sounds like a pissed off African lion lol. Great description

·
OlderByTheMinute
673 Posts

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
^ same here.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yeah there are a lot of Pontiacs around. But I don't think they made much money on each sale. Most of them are crap.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Very cool article!

I'm really tired of every V8 sedan GM does being labeled as having the "Corvette engine": is it ever the EXACT engine that's out of a Corvette (I don't actually know in the GXP's case, I must admit)? I mean, you used to read that about the GTs, and the '94-'96 Impala SSes before that... cars can be capable without always being tied to the illustrious Vette.

Sorry, Vette rant over LOL.

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
buick is HUGE in china. shanghai either has shatbox, buick, bmw, or audi.
everyone else is on a freakin 125cc moped.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very cool article!

I'm really tired of every V8 sedan GM does being labeled as having the "Corvette engine": is it ever the EXACT engine that's out of a Corvette (I don't actually know in the GXP's case, I must admit)? I mean, you used to read that about the GTs, and the '94-'96 Impala SSes before that... cars can be capable without always being tied to the illustrious Vette.

Sorry, Vette rant over LOL.
Yes, it is the Vette engine. LS3 in corvette, LS3 in G8 GXP

I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

·
OlderByTheMinute
673 Posts
Sounds like a pissed off African lion lol. Great description
I think "Striking Rattlesnake" would have been a better description
considering assembled in the Down Under. By the way stryker Blue
would have been my second choice and I'd own both if I could afford!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the GXP is the best car to ever wear a Pontiac badge... :nono:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
And if I am not mistaken all the Buick sold in China none are made in the USA.

F-ing Bean Counters, they ain't got no soul !

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts