Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I started my car as usual and as I drove away everything just cut off power, lights, engine everything. Started it back up no problem and went to drive again and off once more. Started it back up and just parked it. Any ideas what the hell happened?

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
To make sure that I'm reading this correctly >>>>> The ignition key remains in the run position, the engine shuts down, along with all the exterior an interior lights, HVAC (if it had been turned on), as well as the radio. Then turning the ignition key back to off, you go for a restart an everything is back to normal until the next shutdown (which results in all of the same things shutting down as before.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Random question. Do you typically keep additional keys or items on the same keychain as the ignition key?

·
F1rehawk
766 Posts
Ooooh that sounds a lot like the GM ignition switch recall...

Time to get your #recalled stickers

No seriously, check with your dealership or online to see if your car needs the recall, that's the first thing I would do.

If not it could be a wiring or electrical issue, but since it started back right away, I'm leaning towards the ignition.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A loose ground and bad battery can do this too....ask me how I know lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here is the current status. I got the car in the garage to start eliminating possibilities and when I cut it off the key got stuck since it wouldn't rotate all the way back. Now nothing will turn on at all. I got the battery checked and it was good but at 65% charge. So it's on the tender till I get off work. I checked all fuses and connections. I checked the screws in the engine bay fuse box and they were loose as well as the positive running to the fuse box I cleaned the connection. So we will see what happens when I connect the battery back up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
As JAYDBPR said, check the bolt holding the battery ground cable to the chassis. Mine looked pristine from the top, but the section of threads that actually makes contact with the body were terribly rusted.

I replaced the bolt, and cleaned up the threads on the car. My car wasn't dying while driving, but it did fix a whole lot of little things.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As JAYDBPR said, check the bolt holding the battery ground cable to the chassis. Mine looked pristine from the top, but the section of threads that actually makes contact with the body were terribly rusted.

I replaced the bolt, and cleaned up the threads on the car. My car wasn't dying while driving, but it did fix a whole lot of little things.
thanks already did this as well. Hit with a dremel and cleaned up the contact point

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok soo the only thing I could come up with was bad connection points at the fuse box and the positive post under the hood. I cleaned all connections and sanded down all contact points. Bolted everything back up and it worked. Thanks for the Advice guys and hopefully no one else experiences this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts