Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Fellas

this morning when getting into my car I went to go start it per usual and I have been noticing this issue for a couple weeks but usually after a couple tries it will start. Not this morning.

When I put my key in the ignition all of the lights and everything seem to turn on but the second I go to start it all power is lost and the car won’t even crank, occasionally o will
Get a click as if the car is trying to start but usually all power is just lost. I even tried it with jumper cables attached at this point the car was just clicking. Still would not crank, after about a half hour of messing around with it I got the car to start and everything ran fine when I got to work I shut it off and tried to turn it on again for shits and giggles and the same thing happened.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
543 Posts
That is a low voltage issue,either poor connections or a simple battery replacement, if you have a voltmeter measure voltage at battery terminals while cranking and then at posts under hood,if both readings within 0.5 Volt connections ok if both under 10v while cranking battery is toast as long as it is charging ok and no aftermarket caused drains

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thawk, thanks for the quick response

Took the car in about a week ago and got a new ignition solenoid for some other issues. Found out car was spitting out over 14 volts, however the connections to the batter were loose, I took a wrench and tightened both of them car has started with ease 5 times in a row. Had a fear the starter needed to be replaced, maybe I got lucky.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Is the original battery still in the vehicle? Presume a technician(s) at the delaership disconnected the battery while replacing the ignition solenoid and inadvertently left them loose and the remedy seems plasusble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out that’s what seems to be the issue I tighten the battery as much as I could shut the car on and off five times in a row successfully hopefully that’s all it was everything seems to be working fine now.
I appreciate the reply

1 - 5 of 5 Posts