Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car in for emissions testing / VIN certification today, they plugged it into the computer, all seemed well, and then the "tech" (very loose use of that title here) pulled my car forward and put the front wheels on the rollers.
You read that right.
She was in process of chocking the rear wheels when I ran out of the waiting room shouting "it's rear wheel drive!" She just gave me a blank look like I'm an idiot a d says "it will be fine".
It sure as hell will not be fine. WTF?
At that point a supervisor comes over to tell me I can't be in the test area and I explained what was happening. The tech is still looking at me like I'm nuts, but goes about moving the fan, and pulls the car forward so the rears are on the rollers.

I watched her from the waiting room- it looked like she was still doubtful the car wasn't front wheel drive...

Craziness

Can't figure why they would roller it anyway- car has a data port.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad it didn't get damaged. I am trying to get the guys here to go to Bandimere next Wednesday. you should come

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll come out and check it out.

My car is all stock, and I may have my 5yr old in tow, but it would be cool to meet people.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My car is stock except Volant intake, mid muffler and resonator delete, and magnaflow mufflers.

I will probably have a 6, 8, and 10 year old with me

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
So in Colorado they put the drive wheels on rollers to do emission checks? But not every time? That's pretty extreme. That actually loads the engine a bit so if the rings are bad that will show up. Use to also show if the carburetors were hosed up. Not an issue with fuel injection.

I heard that around here they only do that in NYC on taxi cabs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now that I think about it I think I went in the traction control/AWD line and they didn't do rollers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They do it in California. There's a smog shop across the street from my apartment building and I hear cars being revved up all day long. Both times mine has been done it's come back to me with the ESC and ABS systems f'd up. I suppose they disable them for the "treadmill".

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
They do it in California. There's a smog shop across the street from my apartment building and I hear cars being revved up all day long. Both times mine has been done it's come back to me with the ESC and ABS systems f'd up. I suppose they disable them for the "treadmill".

that's normal for a late model GM car that come off a dyno. it has wheel speed sensors and it sees the rears moving and the fronts reading 0 that turns off ESC and ABS tell you drive it around a bit then it goes away when the speeds all match up again.

here in nevada they just plug me in OBDII and say have a nice day

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I won't say what state, but I have friend who had this same situation. When he informed them that the car was rear wheel drive, the tech just smiled and handed him the certification and said, "Don't really matter. Have a good day."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured when she first put the front wheels on the roller and got out that she was just going to move the fan out of the way (there is a fan on a moveable steel arm that goes in front of the car to blow air over the rad) it was set up for the mustang that went through before me, but then she positioned it in front of my hood and I knew something was horribly wrong. I saw her grab the chocks and that was it- NO WAY, so i left the little booth thing in the middle of the bay and I'm shouting at her (because it was loud out there) Fortunate the supervisor saw what was happening, but I'd have tackled her before I'd have let her get behind the damn wheel.

Idiot.

I guess there are some downsides to having a basically unknown car. This is the only one I've encountered thus far.

I did have an awesome experience to offset this- Last night I finally switched over the XM account from my TL to the G8, and when I did the previous owners presets came alive- Sinatra, Big Band, Fox News...

I suspected the car was owned by retirees who were snowbirding Winters in AZ based on the service records half of which are from the Mesa AZ area. This pretty much confirms it. She has lead a gentle life until now. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
My cars have always gone on the rollers. I didn't even think about this when I brought my G8 in, but luckily the guys knew what it was. I'll be searching for the roadside vans in the future.

I'm in for the wednesday track day. Still hoping Pat G is alive after the hurricane.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've only had mine tested once so far, but a similar thing happened to me. While in line, the gal came out and said that they can't run low profile tires on the rollers. I said "so what do I need to do to get it tested?". She said to get higher profile tires on the front. After I told her it was rear drive, she walked around the back and crawled under the back to check for herself.

This was the station near Parker Road and Iliff.

·
Registered
428 Posts
actually, they do twist off on pick-up trucks. Lot more of them in TX than G8's.
That is correct but my older ones always come off by hand. I have seen places use the impact to remove um, twist them into oblivion. :)

Have the older ones on the wife's car and the 86.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They did the same to me. I even put my stock rims on the back to make it more obvious. They had it all set to run the front wheels on the rollers. Luckily the wheel chalks held it when he went to center it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This thread has brought back memories. I grew up in the NW and Oregon started emission testing in the 70's. Just before I switched to Pontiac's I drove Chevy's or for the most part Corvairs.

My last one was a 66 Corv-8 or a 2500lb car with 4 wheel independent suspension with a 327 in the back seat. Very impractical but it was my over sized Kart that ran low 12's and was good for 150 @ 5900 rpm on the top end.

So I go to the testing station in 75-76 and the guy goes to the rear and all that is there is a pair of mufflers. shuts the trunk and goes to the front and raises the hood and finds a radiator. He comes to my door and asks, OK, where is it?

Back then they wanted to attach the inductive pick up for RPM. I told him I am sitting on it and what RPM does he want. :) And I did not pass the first time. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts