Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

can someone clarify this logic for me please?

the driver's side valve cover connects to the tube coming out form the lifter valley, but is this an open system or does the air move one way or the other, and if so why way?

the passenger's side valve cover connects to the intake track prior to the maf so i'm assuming that this one breathes out?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Pretty sure the passenger side breaths in while the driver side blows out. With a catch can, the oily air comes out of the driver side and enters the catch can. The oil should get deposited into the can while the air moves onto the intake manifold.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gotcha

and so the port prior to the maf simply gets blocked off, right?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
When I hooked mine up, I left all stock line intact. Installed a line from driver valve cover to the catch can. This is the "dirty" or "in" for the catch can. I line then runs back to the line that was originally attached to the valve cover. I attached the new line to the old with some union and hose clamps. I installed it this was so that if there is ever a failure or leak with the catch can, I can revert to stock in 30 seconds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
installed the upr catch can and got a check engine light shortly thereafter

all the connections have been double checked although didn't get a chance to run the code as i'm finish up the stang

any ideas...

·
Registered
290 Posts
If so, there is a leak in your plumbing somewhere.
Some cans have a drain valve underneath which needs to be shut. Some cans are made in 2 sections which seal on a large diameter Oring in the mid body.
It's easy enough to remove the can from the car and blow air into one hose & see if all the air comes out the other. Then put your finger over the end of the exit hose.
You'll hear a big leak anywhere on the can body.
You could spray soapy water onto the can body while blowing very low pressure air (got good lungs??) & see if any bubbles are formed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Bet it has a lean code. If so, there is a leak in your plumbing somewhere.
lean code indeed and just found out why

installed holley valve covers at the same time and missed this little note

;)

Some applications, as pictured below, have internal PCV restrictions inside the cover assembly. If your application utilizes this type of connection, an external PCV valve must be added in-line on the hose. If needed, suggested PCV valves are: (1) Beck/Arnley P/N 0450299 or (2) Fram P/N FV340.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Last seen Dec 18, 2015.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve got a motion race works too loafer dual 10an can. It’s got a breather on top. I’ve installed a valley cover without the front breather nipple and deleted my Dod hardware with a cam kit and some other odds and ends. To install this catch can -breather type, what line is my in to can coming from and what line is my out from the can going to? The dotted lines and arrows don’t explain the whole story of what my L76 currently appears as.
I don’t have a breather on my valley cover, supposedly it’s still an LS3 valley cover. So I don’t have that connection at all, in addition, stock valve covers and stock intake manifold with a vararam. So what do you recommend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts