Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
On my LS2 GTO I would fill up half the catch can in 5000 miles. It is sooooo worth it in my opinion. That is my first mod on the G8 and the one I would recommend to anyone as a first mod.
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but could you explain to this noob what is the benefit of this mod? Is there any potential damage to your engine (or risk of getting busted by the smog police) for bypassing the PCV like this?

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,054 Posts
You're NOT bypassing the PCV valve, since the catch can is installed in the PCV line between the PCV valve and where the line enters the intake manifold. Think of it as an oil vapor filter for the PCV system.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Another dumb question. Why couldn't I reuse the the PCV line coming out of the crankshaft area and connect it to the can? It seems it would simplify the install...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Another dumb question. Why couldn't I reuse the the PCV line coming out of the crankshaft area and connect it to the can? It seems it would simplify the install...
The stock PCV line is a molded plastic pipe and therefore can't be bent to get to the catch can.

I might jump on this. Fairly inexpensive peace of mind.

I have to ask though, why would GM do this in the first place?
Why would they do what, not include a catch can, or use a PCV system?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Catch can.
Because, as with everything for modern cars, manufacturers have to keep the lowest common denominator in mind. The average consumer won't know to empty the catch can (or just won't do it), so the risk outweighs the maintenance and performance benefits.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been trying to install my Jamesbiz catch can and have had two problems.

First, I have a GXP which is different than these photos and instructions. There are actually 2 ports right next to each other, one black plastic and the other metal, which are looped together with a tube. (See photos.) Which port should I run my catch can to? and what should I do with the open port that is leftover?

Secondly, for some reason I received a model that is different from the ones in the photos... my bolt hole is vertical not horizontal, so I'm having a hard time finding a place to mount it. The only place I could find to mount it results in it being at a 45* angle which is not ideal. Where is it intended to be mounted with this setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
So yea been seein alot of people puttin these on G8s and I just wonder if it is gonna hurt the engine with out one? Does the catch can collect water and oil and just keep the crankcase a bit cleaner or what? Sorry to revive such an old thread I am just tryin to figure things out here. Tryin to get the jist of it all.

·
Best Member Ever
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So yea been seein alot of people puttin these on G8s and I just wonder if it is gonna hurt the engine with out one? Does the catch can collect water and oil and just keep the crankcase a bit cleaner or what? Sorry to revive such an old thread I am just tryin to figure things out here. Tryin to get the jist of it all.
It's not really gonna hurt your engine. As you said, it keeps all the parts which should be dry as a bone, dry. It will collect water, oil, and dirt, and what ever else makes it's way in there. I've seen some crazy things poored out of them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Great instructions , way better then the ones that come with the catch can.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts