Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search but all I could find were threads from the GTO site and from 06/07 time frame.

It's coming up on summer and I will have several 3K to 4k mile road trips. I'm looking at something small and easily removable. I don't want one of those long attenas if I can avoid it, and if I get one, I want something that can be taken off once I get to desitation and put back on when leaving. I'm thinking something along the lings of something like the ones listed below. Will mostly be used for traffic situations and weather.

https://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-...-radio-with-soundtracker-and-noaa-weather.cfm

https://www.cobra.com/detail/hh-road-trip-handheld-cb-radio-with-weather-and-soundtracker.cfm

I'm liking the 75wx more. I do realize that the car will not look great with a big antenna on, hence the reason would like a smaller one or one that is quickly removable.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Have you thought of a portable?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just bought the 75wx for my wife's SUV (old CB broken after many years of use) and another connection box that I installed in the G8. Both boxes I installed under the drivers seats and left them on the floor - not attaching them to any hard point.

The issue regarding a short antenna is, you will not get much range out of the CB. I bought a K30 for the G8 (have a separate antenna for the SUV) which I leave in the trunk (routed the wire through the pass through area, behind the rear drivers side seat, down the floor and under the drivers seat to the connection box). Then all I have to do is connect the CB to the box and I'm ready to go. Make sure you tune the antenna with a SWR meter to get the most out of the unit and not fry the CB.

I looked into the glass mounted antennas that look like the old cellular antennas from years ago but they only give a range of maybe one mile so they are best used in a convoy type of scenario. I'm still thinking about buying a 'pro' radio for the SUV and have it tuned and peaked for the SUV but for now, the 75 wx works great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I was just over on youtube and saw a couple videos of the cb listed below. It seems it's portable with the option to have in your car. I think this might fit my bill.

I'm not sure about the range situation due to the following reason. Maybe someone with more expierence can input for me. CB will mostly be used on east coast, primarily in the Knoxville(Smokey Mountains to be more precise), Myrtle Beach area, and the Atlanta area, then back to Abilene Texas. From my understanding the reception deponds alot of the geographical area, so while driving throught tx, la, ms might come in handy after at it's mostly flat and boring. but once I get closer to al, ga, and into tn and sc it's mostly mountains so my question is would having a bigger attena make a difference since the terrian is mostly mountains and not flat. If I am understanding how things work, then it wouldn't make much difference would it? I apologize if I'm way off, I'm easily confused.

But here's what I'm looking at and just using it as a portable version and maybe adding an additional attena later.

https://midlandusa.com/cb-radios/product/75-822cb-radio/

·
Registered
594 Posts
CB comm is basically line of sight but the height of your antenna above ground level and where it is located on the vehicle is a big factor. The higher the antenna, the better transmit and reception you should have - assuming the antenna is tuned correctly. In the mountains, it will not work as well as on the flats but there can be advantages to being in the mountains but it is dependent on the specific terrain.

I also considered the Midland unit and after reading the reviews and how the Midland connects, I chose the Cobra due to wanting to move it from one vehicle to the next (with the Midland there are more wires to consider). However, it does look like a nice unit.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Basic Rules for CB antennas..

• Top loaded (helical wire-wounds) perform better than center loaded Antennas, center loaded Antennas perform better than base loaded Antennas.
  • Taller Antennas perform better than shorter ones.
  • Antennas mounted higher perform better than if mounted lower.
  • Single Antennas perform better when mounted as close to center as possible on metal vehicles.
  • At least two-thirds of the antenna should be above a vehicles roof line for optimum performance.

Comparing antenna selection and power input vs. output
  • If you put 4 watts into a four-foot antenna, you will get the same power out of that antenna as if you were putting 2 watts into a 102-inch whip.
  • If you put 4 watts into a 3-foot antenna you will get the same power out as if you were putting about 1.5 watts into a 102-inch whip.
  • If you put 4 watts into a 7.5 inch antenna on a hand held CB, it would put out as much power as a third of a watt into a 102-whip.
  • If you put 4 watts into a 102-inch whip antenna, it is the same output as if you put 11 watts into a 3-foot whip.
  • If you put 4 watts into a 102-inch whip antenna,, it is the same as if you put 14 watts into a 28-inch antenna.
  • If you put 4 watts into a 102-inch whip antenna, it is the same as if you put 54 watts into a 7.5 antenna.

·
IdontRe Member
632 Posts
They make antennas that attach to the car w/a magnet. I'm a big fan of the K-40.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
i ahve a magnet antenna and im scared *****less that it will scar up the paint and look like crap on the car (thank god i have a short one) will it actually scar up the paint? and how can i avoid that?

·
IdontRe Member
632 Posts
i ahve a magnet antenna and im scared *****less that it will scar up the paint and look like crap on the car (thank god i have a short one) will it actually scar up the paint? and how can i avoid that?
If you don't run it through a low overhang or a branch there is no reason for it to move/scratch.

However, I put a layer of papertowel down first and tore off any exposed paper. You don't see it, it helps to protect the paint, and yet it doesn't impede the magnetic pull/attraction. It's also easy to swap/change out.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
If you don't run it through a low overhang or a branch there is no reason for it to move/scratch.

However, I put a layer of papertowel down first and tore off any exposed paper. You don't see it, it helps to protect the paint, and yet it doesn't impede the magnetic pull/attraction. It's also easy to swap/change out.

cool. im planning on making a long trip back to my hometown in nj... and a cb would be REALLY beneficial... thanks man your awesome!

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
btw i got a cobra 29 bluetooth edition<3 its bad enough i wanted a 29 classic lol

·
IdontRe Member
632 Posts
The Cobra 29 is a very good CB. I've never seen/heard of the BlueTooth feature. That'll be cool.

Drive safe and as always, you're welcome.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry if I'm a little late. Given the lack of space up front you'll be limited to "remote" CB radios, such as the Cobra 75WXST.

With CB your antenna is everything so the taller the better. A mag mount will work for a temporary solution. Be sure to wipe clean the both surfaces before plunking on the magnet and scratches will be minimal.

CB is affected quite a bit by noise and fading so your useable car-to-car range probably will be about 2-4 miles.

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
I've had 7-8 miles out of range on my setup, but granted that's a 4ft antenna on the back of a lifted SUV. Making sure you tune the cb is the biggest thing to get the whole setup to work properly. If you don't tune it, it won't matter what you slap together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.