Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. Installed, waited a couple hours, went for a test drive and it was fine. Turned off the car and went to restart it and got the CEL. Per OnStar it's an intake-related code, but nothing serious. The only thing odd after the install was the car started slightly hard, and sputtered slightly at first, but nothing since. Could this come from an intake leak if I didn't do the gasket maker correctly?

Sent from work, sadly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak. With the engine running I'd spray a little WD-40 around any suspect intake area and see if the engine revs indicating a leak.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
A couple of questions. Do you have an aftermarket CAI? Did you clean the throttle body when doing the install? Did you check all of the vent tubes for proper reattachment? Did you torque the new manifold bolts to spec? Finally, did you use any gasket compound to seal the insulators?

Okay, maybe a FEW questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about a vacuum leak, but I'm pretty confident I got everything attached correctly. I torqued the bolts to spec, yes. I did use gasket compound, red. I do not have a CAI on the car yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Do you have The code number? And did you clean the throttle body? Are you certain no debris got anywhere it shouldn't have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No code number yet, still at work. I didn't clean the tb, should I have? I put painter's tape over the runners while the manifold was off, so I'm pretty sure nothing fell in. I think maybe I didn't get the vacuum line on correctly all the way to the rear, brake booster maybe? Trying to locate a pair of pliers at lunch right now to try getting it right with the spring clip.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
No you don't need to clean the throttle body. Just if you did, some fluid may have gotten into the intake. Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes and recheck the hoses. I'm curious as to the code, as my insulators threw no codes after install.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yeah, I really noticed improvement in the mid range torque. Good mod for not too much cash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wasn't able to get to Auto Zone to have the CEL run, but Saturday I took everything back apart and re-did the install. Took the time to paint the intake manifold too, since it was looking pretty bad. Have to touch it up a bit still, but even so it's a big improvement.

Everything's running perfectly now, and the torque gains in the midrange are really impressive. Actually the gains are great through the whole range, really. :D Now I just need to figure out what to do with the exhaust, next.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
That's great to hear man. Glad it worked out and you're enjoying the new power. I find 3rd gear at around 3 thousand RPM is where I really feel it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Yeah, that's about the most noticeable place I'd say. Also right off the line. Considering it's nearly 100 here the last couple days I have a feeling it's going to be even better come Friday morning, when it's supposed to be in the 50's when I leave for work.

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
I keep on see posts about these Mace insulators. Can anyone explain what they are and what benefits I would see, and how they are installed?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I keep on see posts about these Mace insulators. Can anyone explain what they are and what benefits I would see, and how they are installed?
Well basically the insulators are about 3/4" thick or so and it raises the upper manifold up so the air getting to the engine is cooler and less turbulent thus increasing the midrange power and low end take off is a touch better also.
Remember the better the car breathes the better it runs

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the explanations. Makes sense to me. Where do you buy them and how easy are they to install?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
They are easy to install if you know what your doing. You get them from mace performance. There is a install guide if you google it PM me if you need help I have done a few already. Make sure you torque the bolts to spec

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
They are easy to install if you know what your doing. You get them from mace performance. There is a install guide if you google it PM me if you need help I have done a few already. Make sure you torque the bolts to spec
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I have some mechanical abilities as I rebuild jet engines for the A-10 Warthog. But its always good to get advice from someone who has already had hands on. Now to find them and buy them.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I have some mechanical abilities as I rebuild jet engines for the A-10 Warthog. But its always good to get advice from someone who has already had hands on. Now to find them and buy them.
Wow what a small world im also an aircraft mechanic,went from being auto mechanic to an A/C tech. Cool job .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts