Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I still firmly believe it is a great option to restore a car vs ugly plastic dip, wrap or the outrageous cost to get it repainted. Factor in the way I drive it and the fact I want to keep it for a very very long time and you have your answer.
what was the condition of the Paint before? Was it bad enough that you were considering Dipping, Wrapping or Painting?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You 1200 is a bit steep imho.
It isn't, because this:

How valuable is 3 to 4 full days of your time, also knowing you're not an expert?
First, you can't buy what the pros use. Second, you don't have all the equipment they do. Hell, my guy has THOUSANDS just in IR lights to cure coatings and THOUSANDS in paint thickness meters, gloss meters, etc. This is a whole other level as compared to slapping some Adumbs on your car on a Sunday afternoon.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I still firmly believe it is a great option to restore a car vs ugly plastic dip, wrap or the outrageous cost to get it repainted. Factor in the way I drive it and the fact I want to keep it for a very very long time and you have your answer.
what was the condition of the Paint before? Was it bad enough that you were considering Dipping, Wrapping or Painting?
The clear coat started to peel on the driver side fender, the bumper had a few rash and one of the lower trim had a mild scratch. I got that fixed prior to the ceramic coating. The rest of the paint was quite decent. Lot of swirls apparent on sunny days though.

Proper washing technique from now on.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You 1200 is a bit steep imho.
It isn't, because this:

How valuable is 3 to 4 full days of your time, also knowing you're not an expert?
First, you can't buy what the pros use. Second, you don't have all the equipment they do. Hell, my guy has THOUSANDS just in IR lights to cure coatings and THOUSANDS in paint thickness meters, gloss meters, etc. This is a whole other level as compared to slapping some Adumbs on your car on a Sunday afternoon.
Could not have said it better myself. A lot of people underestimate the amount of work it takes and the equipment/knowledge you need to attain such results. You also need the proper environment and lighting to see all the imperfections. I paid a professional for a reason. I stick to what I know.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And @Belo we are totally good haha. I contacted the detailer and he did say putting an enhancer twice a year would help with the longevity.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It isn't, because this:

heck, just a basic portercable setup with all the pads and towels etc is going to get you up there.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
No? You're starting at over $200 and that's before all the other little things like extra pads, polishes, compounds, sealants, buckets, hoses, wash mits, clays etc
https://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424-kit.html
Ah, I misread your post. I thought you were saying that a basic porter cable, some pads, etc. would get you close to the results of a pro. My bad. I agree with your assessment. I'll edit my previous post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hot Damn! I heard that ceramic coating was the best way to go. Now I am convinced, when the time comes I’ll be doing it to my GT too.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My G8's paint isn't nearly good enough to justify ceramic. And I've machined polished it about 2 years ago. For me, it's not worth it to spend the $ on a proper/professional detail job to get the paint good enough for this process.

I've recently just clay bar'd the G and finished it with the duragloss 601/111 combo. Supposed to be good for a good 3 months. Maybe 4 if you extend it with spray wax 1-2 month. Definately NOT of the same durability level of pro ceramic. But I have no problem claying and using this Duragloss combo 2-3 times a year.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My G8's paint isn't nearly good enough to justify ceramic. And I've machined polished it about 2 years ago. For me, it's not worth it to spend the $ on a proper/professional detail job to get the paint good enough for this process.

I've recently just clay bar'd the G and finished it with the duragloss 601/111 combo. Supposed to be good for a good 3 months. Maybe 4 if you extend it with spray wax 1-2 month. Definately NOT of the same durability level of pro ceramic. But I have no problem claying and using this Duragloss combo 2-3 times a year.
same, even with touchup paint. Single biggest complaint I have by far on this car is the **** paint.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Belo is right about things. This is one of the few times I read a post reply that's auto detailing related about coatings, waxes and so on and didnt shake my head belo

"this needs some clarification. Coating is just a protectant. Like a wax or sealant, it does nothing for swirls and scratches. The detailers got rid of those through good old fashion compound and polish. That said, ceramic coatings are all the rage and are showing their longevity. But please, please, please don't expect 5 years. That's so much bs that I feel bad for you. At most you'll get a year and then some residual. Even then, you need proper maintenance washes and a product like reload to keep her shiny.

And if you don't want to believe a random guy on the net, that's fine but think of it like this. We generally measure a cars life by mileage and how it was driven and cared for, not by how many years old it is right? why would a paint protecant be any different? Climates, where and how you drove it, if it was garage kept etc all affect the longevity of your protectant of choice. So nobody should put an age to their coating. And if that's not enough, go over to autogeek or autopia and you'll here the same from pro's.
Like"

Looks like they did a good job GT. Are you going to Lakeview this year? Unfortunately I am working and gonn miss out. gonna try for the next meet

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Belo is right about things. This is one of the few times I read a post reply that's auto detailing related about coatings, waxes and so on and didnt shake my head belo

"this needs some clarification. Coating is just a protectant. Like a wax or sealant, it does nothing for swirls and scratches. The detailers got rid of those through good old fashion compound and polish. That said, ceramic coatings are all the rage and are showing their longevity. But please, please, please don't expect 5 years. That's so much bs that I feel bad for you. At most you'll get a year and then some residual. Even then, you need proper maintenance washes and a product like reload to keep her shiny.

And if you don't want to believe a random guy on the net, that's fine but think of it like this. We generally measure a cars life by mileage and how it was driven and cared for, not by how many years old it is right? why would a paint protecant be any different? Climates, where and how you drove it, if it was garage kept etc all affect the longevity of your protectant of choice. So nobody should put an age to their coating. And if that's not enough, go over to autogeek or autopia and you'll here the same from pro's.
Like"

Looks like they did a good job GT. Are you going to Lakeview this year? Unfortunately I am working and gonn miss out. gonna try for the next meet
I will be there yes! See you at another event hopefully!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Hey. What does the 99 dollar maintenance package include.?

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Do any of these processes take care of paint chips?
Depends on how deeps the chips are. It would take care of the light scratches and mild chips but the deeper ones would have to be filled prior.

Doctor Color Chip is a great system I used in the past.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
17 Participants
TonyKarter
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing