Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
best thing i've found for paint chips is doctor color chips, but it's not perfect, just better and tedious. there's also the duplicolor and blob remover approach which i tried and may have actually had better results with, but a coating doesn't do anything for chips. If the paints gone, you need to fill in the paint. If there's a scratch in the clear, a polish will eliminate it. A coating just protects what's already there, which is why correction is key.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
Depends on how deeps the chips are. It would take care of the light scratches and mild chips but the deeper ones would have to be filled prior.

Doctor Color Chip is a great system I used in the past.
Langka is similar but you supply the paint.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
best thing i've found for paint chips is doctor color chips, but it's not perfect, just better and tedious. there's also the duplicolor and blob remover approach which i tried and may have actually had better results with, but a coating doesn't do anything for chips. If the paints gone, you need to fill in the paint. If there's a scratch in the clear, a polish will eliminate it. A coating just protects what's already there, which is why correction is key.
As mentioned in my previous reply, I second that. Not perfect but pretty good for a somewhat cheap alternative.

Back when I had my GTP 04, I ordered their correcting kit and it really did an awesome job.

TIP : For road rash and multiple small chips, put a bit of paint on a clean microfiber towel and then wipe it directly on the affected surface in a circular motion. Let it dry and then apply their thinner solution by wiping again very lightly. The paint will remain in the chips and the excess will be removed. That will save you a TON of time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My G8 is Coated with Zaino Z5 and my Tacoma is ceramic coated with CQuartz ceramic products. The Zaino Z5 on the G8 looks better than the Taco due to its higher gloss than the ceramic coating. The CQuartz on the Tacoma keeps it cleaner due to the incredible dirt and water sheeting action of ceramics. Everything just runs right off of it. So I like both for different reasons. The Zaino Z5 is ONE TENTH THE COST of ceramic. Guys you can do ceramic yourself for about $300 all in: buffer pads, microfiber towels that you must throw away, clay bar, polish, alcohol wipe solution, ceramic coating. If you feel you MUST spend $1200 on your car's finish then do the above process through the polish and then take it and have the front clearcoated with a quality product like ExPel. THEN ceramic coat it yourself, including ceramic over the ExPel. It is not rocket science. It is not hard. There is fear-mongering reports all over the net that if you mess it up then you must remove it with a grinder. Nothing is farther from the truth, You simply polish it back off and redo that area again. I wouldn't do it in the heat of the summer because it flashes too quick. Wait until the temp is about 50, then do it. I went with CarPro CQuartz products: Essence first to final polish and lay a base layer of ceramic for the further coats to better adhere to, two coats of CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coating, then a final quote of CQuartz Gliss. You can do this.

If you MUST have someone else do it, if anyone quotes you less than $1200, RUN! It is a lot of work. I wouldn't do your car for less than $1200! It's all in the tedious prep work, and that is where your $600 "total care" package is going to cut the corners. You get what you pay for. I'd recommend seeking out a high-end auto salon that the hyper-car dealers use to prep their Ferraris and Astons. Those will be the guys who will come highly recommended and who will not cut corners.

Whichever product you use, please consider a top coat of Gliss. You know how the feel of your cars surface is so improved after a clay-barring it? That is the exponential surface improvement of the surface's feel after a coat of Gliss OVER A CERAMIC COATING! Much more gloss too.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
17 Participants
TonyKarter
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing