Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They both have their advantages.

Certified has a decent inspection done and an extra 12yr/12K mile warranty, but you have to get it from a dealer which means a few grand more on the price.

Private Seller is often cheaper but if you're away from home you don't have your regular mechanic to give it a look over.

I'm leaning towards CPO only because I don't mind driving a couple hundred miles to get a good car. I drove 3 1/2 hrs, one way, to get my Suburban because it was a much better deal than I could get up here in Michigan.

So which way would you go if you had to get one used? I know many of you purchased new...

Thanks,
-Bob

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
I'd probably find one that was being given up by an enthusiast due to a hardship.
Not only would I be helping out a fellow brother, I'd be getting a car from someone who shares a passion for making sure the car was taken care of.
They wouldn't give me a sales pitch.
Instead, they be telling me things I need to hear in a langauge I can understand and relate to.

That doesn't answer your question exactly but I guess you could put me in the category of private seller.
A select private seller.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I s'pose you have a point. There's some on Autotrader.com that look pretty good, one guy even says he can't afford the car anymore after being laid off work.

-Bob

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
bought mine from a member of this board, he was in a pinch wanted to sell quick i had cash. deposit friday, paid monday, title got to me wednesday, flew out friday night, picked it up and drove it back from denver Saturday. I felt very confident buying my car from someone that people knew on this board. plus my payment was being sent direct to his bank. saved a bunch since the local dealer wanted and still wants $29,000 for any g8 they have on the lot. ended up friends on facebook i give him regular updates on the mods the car has now.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Not have much luck finding a G8 GT anywhere close to me for what I want to spend. I look everyday. Only a few that are certfied that are around $21-22K. These are all 300-500 miles away. I'm picky about how a car has been maintaned and most of the G8's that are at dealers are rough with no service history. I hate dealing with salesmen... Oh I work at a GM dealer and can't get a good deal. Go figure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would have to lean towards a private seller, preferably one that you can trust and can get some good information on the car from. A dealer is usually selliing hundreds of different models and has limited information on a G8. A private seller that has service records and information on the vehicle is much more valuable than a dealer just looking for a sale. IMO most G8 owners take great pride/care of there car and a forum such as this is a great start to find the G8 you are looking for...so I would have to lean toward the private sale...plus you're likely saving a couple thousand dollars over most dealer sales! Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
5oh1
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing