Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to make the LED shift indicator LEDs another color ? I have a hard time and fight to make out which gear I am looking at...Mine is Red.

I can pretty much know that the car is comfortable around 3-4 K on the tach so I look at that but I'd still like to better see the gauge lights more clearly

Is there anyone who'll do it for me or can I buy an already done cluster ?

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Check with Zepcon,he has done it before.........

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Looking for something like this?

(The last one shows "TPMS Fault" because I recently had the RLCLDR module giving me trouble, it's unrelated to my cluster swap or other "blue" initiatives.)

If you have a set of the service manuals, you can get the proper way to disassemble anything you want to... and from there, if you are good with soldiering, you could probably swap the SMD red LED's with blue ones or whatever you want to change the colors to. The steering wheel controls, dash shifter, and window controls are somewhat difficult to get apart, but a full conversion or two has been done by other members. Right now, I've just gotten the "low hanging fruit" red-to-blue conversion done, and will be pacing myself to getting the rest done eventually.

Someday I will be switching the radio button led's from red to blue to match everything.

--zepcom

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
lol, just last weekend I helped a guy replace his entire faceplate, and then re-align the needles after doing so! If you're not in a dusty environment and are calm and take your time, it can be done easily, and with great rewards.

No artifacts on my cluster, and neither with his.

For me, the blue is a much more pleasing hue, and with the re-done dimmer curves across the board, it's taylorable to fit your needs. Oh, and I will try to post a pic of night mode, amazing.

·
BANGARANG!!!
328 Posts
Love it zep! Is there a way to have the night mode on all the time? In the sun out here its hard to see the speedo/tach. especially if i have the sunroof open. I figured it was tied into the automatic headlights but i wasnt sure. I know theres a sensor on the dash or whatever, i usually just put my hat over it lol

On a side note i wish the 09s still came with the atari gauges, i think there awesome looking!

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Should have removed the TPMS dash light :)
Been trying to get my dealership to fix this 3x over now... still no dice. Trust me, you're preaching to the choir... LOL.

Love it zep! Is there a way to have the night mode on all the time? In the sun out here its hard to see the speedo/tach. especially if i have the sunroof open. I figured it was tied into the automatic headlights but i wasnt sure. I know theres a sensor on the dash or whatever, i usually just put my hat over it lol

On a side note i wish the 09s still came with the atari gauges, i think there awesome looking!
For me, the text of my needles are easy to read in the daylight, and at dusk, I find the new dimmer curves that GTPPrix put in to be absolutely perfect. I don't have a sunroof, so that may be related possibly, but then again, it's not always sunny in Buffalo! LOL. Do you use the DIC speedo mode with the big number readout? I find that's easiest... but I'm sure it's a personal preference.

It's possible that your ambient light sensor is either too sensitive or not within tolerance, but that's just a guess. Maybe changing the tint on that little center-windshield-bubble might help? (or adding tint to make the car think it's somewhat darker all the time) I would think a heatgun might be required to help the tint form around the bubble, but can't hurt to try. Your headlights and tail lights will be on more often with this mod, obviously.

HTH.

--zepcom

·
BANGARANG!!!
328 Posts
Yeah its always in DIC speedo mode so i can see it during the day. It's even hard to see if the sunroof is closed and the cover pulled...lights right up when i pull the car into my garage though lol. It might be because living in Nevada is like living on the surface of the sun!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Is there a writeup anywhere about this, parts costs/lists??

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
🤔

1 - 13 of 13 Posts